Is my basement bar sink plan code compliant?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCheezy02

Reaction score
Novice here…finishing my basement. We are in a city that uses UPC. I’m trying to create a place for a future bar sink in a corner (it will be capped until kids are older, but I want to have it ready to access when we want to add the bar.

The sink will be roughly 14’ away from one of the 3” stacks which serves a couple of second floor bathrooms and the laundry room.

I want to use an AAV because tying into the existing vent stack for the basement bathroom is difficult; my ceilings will be exposed so the AAV will be accessible and have airflow.

Based on my diagram (attached), have I got all my bases covered?

Attachments

• D26154AF-C38A-47BC-A149-8DDCD74CA166.jpeg
    D26154AF-C38A-47BC-A149-8DDCD74CA166.jpeg
    831.5 KB · Views: 21
I would suggest a back water valve about where your coupling is . Also i would do all the red piping in two inch including the p-trap . The blue piping can be it 1 1/2 inch .

I would suggest a back water valve about where your coupling is . Also i would do all the red piping in two inch including the p-trap . The blue piping can be it 1 1/2 inch .
Thanks! I was planning to use 1-1/2” because I would like to go through the 2x4 studs. Is it a code issue to use the smaller pipe?

Thanks! I was planning to use 1-1/2” because I would like to go through the 2x4 studs. Is it a code issue to use the smaller pipe?
depending on your local code, Some codes say that if you can not vent properly you must increase the pipe one size up , Also from personnal experience the 2 inch will function much much better.

depending on your local code, Some codes say that if you can not vent properly you must increase the pipe one size up , Also from personnal experience the 2 inch will function much much better.
Gotcha. I will see if I have enough room to notch instead. Thanks again!

It’s going to seriously eat up those studs. I don’t like it, but it’s not about me. 🏃🏼👩🏿

It’s going to seriously eat up those studs. I don’t like it, but it’s not about me. 🏃🏼👩🏿
Not looking forward to it for sure. Due to the way the exterior 2x6 studs laid on the foundation, we had to build a new wall in front of it, so there is some clearance between the two sets of studs to notch out…just need to figure out how much.

Not looking forward to it for sure. Due to the way the exterior 2x6 studs laid on the foundation, we had to build a new wall in front of it, so there is some clearance between the two sets of studs to notch out…just need to figure out how much.
Can you move the wall a couple inches ? That would be ideal.

That’s how I piped a house I built. Had the carpenter leave 3” between 2 2x4 walls for the main plumbing wall. So there’s a little pipe chase. I insulated the void to make it very quiet.

They make steel reinforcement supports for notched studs. Look into those.

Maybe add a layer of plywood to the wall then the drywall.

I like the idea of moving the wall because I could do the plumbing in about 20 minutes if it was moved. Without drilling. 😉

Latest posts

Back