Help troubleshooting a plumbing issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SRD1974

Reaction score
Hello. I am new here. Posting to ask about an issue I am having. I am not a pro just a DIY guy who likes to learn.

Question: I have a posi-temp moen single-handle shower system with no balancing valve. Uses a Moen 1222 cart. The tub spout had a constant small drip/stream of water coming from the tub spout.

I took out the Moen 1222 cartridge replaced it, and lubed it up pretty well. I also replaced the tub spot out of caution. After those two replacements, the tub still leaks from the tub spout. Also, the roof started to leak below the shower after the replacements when the shower was turned on.....I took off the tub spout and the water runs out slowly through the copper pipe.

I checked the meter and it shows no running water or leak. So any advice on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.
SRD

Attachments

• moen shower 2.jpg
    moen shower 2.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 0
  • moen 1.jpg
    moen 1.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 0
In supplement. I tried the Moen 1222 with the H/C on top...then on the bottom upside down just to make sure as I read sometimes they are upside down. I matched the old one first H/C was on top.
Thanks.

Possibly, your new cartridge is bad.
I've replaced hundreds and no issues, but, think I've seen postings similar to yours. maybe use search at the top right

As stated above remove the cartridge and change it again. Once out inspect it then install the new one. Make sure your o rings and rubber gaskets did not get a tiny tear or rip. Also clean out inside the valve body but with something like the green scoth Brite pad that will not scratch through the brass. Lightly clean the buildup if any and reduce lightly and install and push it in all the way. Make sure that pin lines up on the front of the cartridge or you will have issues.
If this leak continues check the water pressure should be between 60-75 psi for residential homes. More psi means more pressure on those seats and gaskets. Above 90 psi is what I have seen cause the same issue you are experiencing. Hope this helps

Back