Help identifying shower stem valve in ~100 year old home

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mholzap

Reaction score
Any idea what shower stem valve to get as a replacement?

Attachments

• IMG_8515.jpg
    IMG_8515.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8516.jpg
    IMG_8516.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8517.jpg
    IMG_8517.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Not from those pictures. Turn water off, remove stem. Take pictures, take pictures of handles too.

Thanks. Can I screw it right back in after taking it out and taking pictures, so that I can turn the water back on?

I say it’s a kohler and if I’m right I want big big $$$$$$

Impressive tile job whoever did that in the past. Look how perfectly flat and flush they all are and I like the border design. So cool.

fyi, to get the stem out, you will have to break out the mortar and use a deep socket tool, buy, rent or call a plumber

I took out the stem and took it to a couple of plumber supply shops but they weren't sure what to replace it with. Any ideas based on these pictures?

Attachments

• IMG_8539.jpg
    IMG_8539.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8540.jpg
    IMG_8540.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8541.jpg
    IMG_8541.jpg
  • IMG_8542.jpg
    IMG_8542.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8543.jpg
    IMG_8543.jpg
  • IMG_8546.jpg
    IMG_8546.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8535.jpg
    IMG_8535.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Also, the problem that I'm trying to solve is that when the handle is on, water shoots out from it. The packing nut was damaged, and I tried replacing it with a different nut plus some graphite string but that didn't work

This is my guess. The linked Kohler and American Standard have short 2 piece barrels. I think it's a first Gen American Standard Renu. What do the handle and escutcheon look like?

Also, the problem that I'm trying to solve is that when the handle is on, water shoots out from it. The packing nut was damaged, and I tried replacing it with a different nut plus some graphite string but that didn't work
Home Depot has packing kits in the faucet repair area

Latest posts

Back