Delta r11000 flow path

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been going rounds with the guy who remodeled my shower. The flow to the shower heads has never been right. Two heads run at the same time, one never runs.
I took the valve apart. The cartridge is correct(six position, non-shared ports). I visually verified the ports each are only open one at a time.
Anyhow, the attached video shows what happened when I turned the pressure on. It seems to me that the three small holes at the bottom should be the inlet to the valve, and the larger ports are the outlets. The installer says I'm wrong. Can someone confirm for me the actual flow path through this valve body?
Thanks

Attachments

• 1000004929.mp4
    13.5 MB
Here’s how it’s suppose to work if it’s piped properly.

You can’t have a 6 position Delta diverter with No shared ports….

592B55B9-8061-4529-97D7-0EF48319BFBB.jpeg

Can you see the UP marking on the body? Are the screws above or below center of the valve body? If the valve is oriented correctly the supply inlet is center bottom and my understanding is the three holes at the bottom are supposed to be the supply to the valve and the three large holes are the outputs.

RP71718 - no shared ports, spins all the way around like the 6-setting cartridge
RP71717 - 3 setting, feeds two ports, travel stops.
RP51919 - 6-setting, shared ports

The Delta website copy pasted the description for -18 and -17, it's wrong. I got the part from local supply house.

RP71718 - no shared ports, spins all the way around like the 6-setting cartridge
RP71717 - 3 setting, feeds two ports, travel stops.
RP51919 - 6-setting, shared ports

The Delta website copy pasted the description for -18 and -17, it's wrong. I got the part from local supply house.
The RP71718 is a 3 function non shared diverter cartridge, not a 6 setting.

It’s impossible to make a 6 setting non shared cartridge for a diverter valve that has 3 outlets.

The RP71718 is a 3 function non shared diverter cartridge, not a 6 setting.

It’s impossible to make a 6 setting non shared cartridge for a diverter valve that has 3 outlets.
This is what I have installed. It works the way I described. Six settings...three sprays, full off between sprays. The handle spins 360° with no stops.

What can I say. It was the problem. It’s fixed.

That doesn’t surprise me, it’s common when installers have little experience and can’t follow directions. I suggest hiring a professional next time. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s still piped wrong but if it’s working according to you that’s all that matters, it’s yours.

This is what I have installed. It works the way I described. Six settings...three sprays, full off between sprays. The handle spins 360° with no stops.
The diverter valve with a delta set up should never be able to completely stop flow of water if it’s installed properly.

If the diverter will completely stop flow it would cause a cross connection at the mixing valve. That’s not the correct way to pipe it.

Here’s my example of proper piping. Right side diverter outlet is a hand shower. Center is the showerhead. Left side diverter outlet is the 3 body sprays. Bottom of the diverter is the inlet from the mixing valve/on/off valve.

If the mixing valve is on then water should always be flowing out of at least one function, like the body sprays, hand shower or showerhead.
C4EF5448-24A7-4602-B076-48237C6BF0EA.jpeg

The diverter should never stop the flow of water.

Latest posts

Back