Could not remove Moen cap

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

messageliu

Reaction score
Dear all experts,

I am in the process of replacing my Moen shower cartridge installed in 2004. But I have a big problem of removing the cap. Initially, I assumed that once the horizontal center screw was removed I should be able to remove the cap. However, not matter how hard I pulled it, the cap won't come off. I also checked all sides of the cap and there is no any other screw. I am just afraid that I will damage the wall if I pull it too hard. BTW, I haven't turned off the water valve yet. Is it a reason? I have watched over 10 videos on YouTube and could not find this type of cap.

What is the right way of removing this cap? Should I just pull it harder or there are certain ways to remove it? Please advise. Thank you so much!

Attachments

• 20220224012020.jpg
    20220224012020.jpg
    512 KB · Views: 10
That’s the handle base and it likely unscrews counterclockwise

As you can see, the center screw was removed counterclockwisely already. But the cap is still on.

Attachments

• 20220224104227.jpg
    20220224104227.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
Buy a handle puller. Home Depot sells them or any hardware store.

Or wrap the shroud with duct tape and use channel locks to rock back and forth. If it breaks no problem, you’re replacing the cartridge anyway.

Back