Compelled to DIY

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently was reminded why I spent my whole life doing things myself.
Being close to retirement, I thought it was high time that I pay someone else do the heavy lifting. The contractor I hired to do some minor remodeling has turned out to be such a PITA, I'm now counting the decision to hire him as one of the top ten mistakes of my life.
Cheers~

Yeah, I'm very picky so I like to do things myself when I can. If you have to hire someone, then it's extremely important to seek out references on how they do their work so you know it will be worth your time or not. My uncle has a small kitchen and bath remodeling business. He doesn't advertise, only works for clients that live in about 4 different condo developments. He makes clients extremely happy by doing a few simple things. 1. His small team works extremely clean. They leave the condo cleaner at the end of the day then when they entered it. 2. Excellent communication with the client. He doesn't go for speed but for perfection to what the client wanted. 3. Honesty and low pricing. He doesn't have to keep working at 80 years old, both of his kids are millionaires but he likes to help people. It's hard to find people who care about attention to detail these days, I'm afraid.

Yeah, I'm very picky so I like to do things myself when I can. If you have to hire someone, then it's extremely important to seek out references on how they do their work so you know it will be worth your time or not. My uncle has a small kitchen and bath remodeling business. He doesn't advertise, only works for clients that live in about 4 different condo developments. He makes clients extremely happy by doing a few simple things. 1. His small team works extremely clean. They leave the condo cleaner at the end of the day then when they entered it. 2. Excellent communication with the client. He doesn't go for speed but for perfection to what the client wanted. 3. Honesty and low pricing. He doesn't have to keep working at 80 years old, both of his kids are millionaires but he likes to help people. It's hard to find people who care about attention to detail these days, I'm afraid.
I picked my guy, because he was the only one who showed up on time for his estimate. I requested bids from 4 contractors. 1 showed on time. 1 showed up unannounced 8 hours after our appt. 1 no showed, then called a week later and asked if he could still bid. 1 no showed, no called.
All of these guys were recommended by someone I know.
The two bids I got were within $200 of each other.

99.9% of homeowners know more than me and could do the job better than me even though I have almost 40 years of plumbing experience.

Hard to believe but it’s TRUE, just ask any homeowner. 👍

I’d love to see some pics of the piping. Without the piping layout it’s a pointless conversation.

99.9% of homeowners know more than me and could do the job better than me even though I have almost 40 years of plumbing experience.

Hard to believe but it’s TRUE, just ask any homeowner. 👍
I must be in the .1 % . I do everything I can possibly do myself. But I learn things from these posts all the time. And if I could afford Twowax rates , and he lived within range, I'd have him do installs for me.

Latest posts

Back