Broke a few Toes

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I heard healthcare is pretty Rough in some states. That sucks so much that you can't even go for a check up without breaking the bank.

I have insurance and it is still to expensive to go. Cheaper for me to pay cash.

Wow that's crazy. Luckily my company has comprehensive benefits so don't pay a dime. Even if you had to pay its like 75 bucks a month give or take a bit.

I am my company so I buy my own, It costs me $140 a month. I get one doctor visit a year at 40 bucks the rest are full price. I have a 5 grand deductible before they start paying for anything. I really only have it incase something major happens that would cost me everything I own.

Oh yeah fair enough. I can't imagine what insurance with a lower deductible would be. At least it's there incase something major happens

Medical costs are just crazy. I have a friend who has a disabled husband with MS. At first they would not even approve him for disability and really gave her a run around. She really had to fight to get it and, in the meantime her life insurance (which she pays $700 a month for-- but is via her employer) said that the husband hit the lifetime payout limit and will not pay another dime for him. They also will not approve of the medication he needs and the next best thing would have a $400 co-pay. To give her an even bigger kick in the teeth, she works for a state university and the university decided to withhold one of her paychecks because they were forcing all of the employees to give back a percentage of their salary because of budget cuts (which I do not think is actually legal, but they did it and she can't afford a lawyer and doesn't have the time between taking care of her sick child, doing her job, and caring for her husband). She is nearing bankruptcy and her doctor said that families with someone who has MS tend to declare bankruptcy multiple times in their lives because the medical bills are so high.

I know one of the reasons hospitals/doctors charge so much is because of people who don't pay-- but some people can't pay because the prices are too high and its a vicious cycle.

The only benefit I ever had with my insurance was that they got the doctors to lower prices a bit, but that was negated by the premiums. In retrospect, I wish I had taken the money for the premiums and put it into a CD with a 5% interest rate when I had the chance. Now I'm lucky if I can get even 0.5% interest gain.

My mother at least has decent health insurance, but it is expensive and the government pays for part of it.

stevemachine, I'm glad to hear you have a good system in place with your company. I'm always relieved when I hear about people who have good insurance or good benefits. I feel badly for people who don't.

The great medical insurance I receive is about the only perk for dodging bullets for 25+ years. I feel for anyone who has to spend this type of money monthly to have any coverage at all.

The great medical insurance I receive is about the only perk for dodging bullets for 25+ years. I feel for anyone who has to spend this type of money monthly to have any coverage at all.

My father has amazing insurance for the same reason. My siblings are still in his plan as they are both under 25, but I got dropped at 21 before they changed the rules.

My father has amazing insurance for the same reason. My siblings are still in his plan as they are both under 25, but I got dropped at 21 before they changed the rules.

Yeah, I had to drop my daughter, who was a full time student, when she hit 21 years of age. The next year, they allowed dependents to remain on the policy until they were 25 years old. When I tried to put her back on, they told me...."sorry, you can't". Fortunately, she works for the University of Irvine, so her new insurance costs her $5.00 a month. Yeah, it might be Kaiser, but it's better than nothing.

I guess I can't complain about mine. For the past week and a half I've had ER visits, doctor visits, labs, scans, prescriptions...the works, and Thursday I had my gall bladder removed. The only charge I have seen (should be seeing) is a $25 copay. My family plan costs $292/month for medical with no copays except ER visits and no deductibles to meet. Prescriptions are $5. Best coverage I've ever had. My dental and vision plans are so-so, but anything is better than nothing when my whole family wears glasses and both of my daughters need orthodontics. The dental covered $500 of the first one's braces, but the $3,500 balance is all mine. My other girl will be about the same. These are the things we do for the love of our families. Great motivation for getting up for work every day.

I'm sorry you've had so many doctor's visits, Caduceus. My mother had her gall bladder taken out a few years ago, so I know that can be stressful. I've been lucky and have only had an appendectomy, tonsilectomy, and heart catheter (although the anesthesia didn't work on the last one).

I wish that dental stuff was considered part of regular medical in terms of how insurance treats it. Dental health is extremely important. People used to (and still do) die from gum infections. Btw, a solution of 50% water and 50% of the 3% concentration hydrogen peroxide are a good mouthwash. Tastes awful, but it can really help the gums. Your kids may need to use that when they have the braces because it is very hard to keep the teeth clean with braces in-- at least from what I remember. The metal parts snag the toothbrush and you can't floss properly. No eating candied apples or biting even regular apples. Caramel is not a good idea.

Another tip with the braces: Take the kids to eat food immediately after having their braces adjusted. For the first half hour to an hour the gums are still sort of numb but after that they hurt like hell and its hard to bite anything for the next day or two.

My wife had hers our when she was pregnant with our first. It was a nightmare. All the docs kept talking about losing the baby.

My wife had hers our when she was pregnant with our first. It was a nightmare. All the docs kept talking about losing the baby.

That had to be terrifying for both of you. I suppose they wouldn't have done it unless it was absolutely necessary given the risks to the baby. I'm guessing that everything turned out alright, but scares like that seem to always sit in the back of your mind forever.

How are the toes?

Better, it's pretty crooked and will stay that way till I break it again and have to reset it.

That had to be terrifying for both of you. I suppose they wouldn't have done it unless it was absolutely necessary given the risks to the baby. I'm guessing that everything turned out alright, but scares like that seem to always sit in the back of your mind forever.

She couldn't gain weight, which was a threat to the baby as well. It never left me. It makes me more grateful she's here.

It's healed. The nail regrew correct so no ingrown!

My daughter stubbed the same toe twice this morning. I felt bad for her.

Glad to hear its healed, Austin.
Stubbing toes sucks very very much.

Yes it does and with big ugly feet like mine it's bound to happen once a week.

Latest posts

Back