Bad smell under sink

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salvaan

Reaction score
I have a sink in my laundry room and under it there is a cabinet - when you open it there is a bad sewar like smell . I think it’s an issue with the pipes, they barely fit together correctly and to me (a novice , not a plumber ) it looks wrong. Could someone provide tips on how I can address this issue please ? Thank you !

Attachments

• IMG_2878.jpeg
    IMG_2878.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
That's an "s trap" they are illegal when using that most of the water is being siphoned out
Leaving little or no water in your trap
You need to cut the s trap out and input in a sch 40 PVC p trap / a sch 40 ty/and an automatic vent on top of the ty wishi could draw it for you but I don't k ow how

If it only smells bad when you open the cabinet I'm going to guess it's a dead rodent

No it smells all the time. , no dead rodent I have investigated. I am new to this house and it was like this when we bought it - I am sure it’s the pipes and as Geoff (thank you) put above the s-trap is illegal (makes sense) .

That's an "s trap" they are illegal when using that most of the water is being siphoned out
Leaving little or no water in your trap
You need to cut the s trap out and input in a sch 40 PVC p trap / a sch 40 ty/and an automatic vent on top of the ty wishi could draw it for you but I don't k ow how
Thanks Geoff - is this what I need see attached images- Ty !

Attachments

• IMG_3941.jpeg
    IMG_3941.jpeg
    222.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3940.jpeg
    IMG_3940.jpeg
    237.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3939.jpeg
    IMG_3939.jpeg
    207.7 KB · Views: 0
No it smells all the time. , no dead rodent I have investigated. I am new to this house and it was like this when we bought it - I am sure it’s the pipes and as Geoff (thank you) put above the s-trap is illegal (makes sense) .
Yes, the S trap is illegal and needs to be changed like Geoff said. If the smell was due to the S trap you'd have the smell above the sink not in the cabinet

Yes, the S trap is illegal and needs to be changed like Geoff said. If the smell was due to the S trap you'd have the smell above the sink not in the cabinet
Got it - there is “gaps” in the pipes -
where the drain comes down it barely has enough to connect to the pvc , if I move any of the pipes even slightly they will all come a part .. I can even sometimes get a little water leaking around that strap fitting .. that’s why I think the “gas” is escaping via the gapping in the pipes and that’s under the cabinet -
Therefore not even making it out of the drain up top - if that makes sense - I am 99% sure the issue is the pipe setup under there , I was just not sure how to re pipe it - does Geoff recommendation match my images ?? Thanks !

The other interesting data point is; if I leave that cupboard open the smell will dissipate .. this too leads me to believe it’s “gas” smell building up in there and then it basically is a concentrated smell so when I open it , it smells really bad and then will gradually dissipate- there will still be a very faint smell but not nearly as bad as when you first open that door after a few days - and there is a lingering smell in that laundry room all the time .. thanks again all your insight ! oh also that plastic dish under trap the previous owner cut that and placed it there due to that trap leaking - I tightened it with some fast tape on threads but it sill leaks a little .. I ve been busy and trying to address it now - thanks !

You'll need a female adaptor for the AAV to screw into on top of your tee. Take the AAV up as high as possible so if
you need to change it out you can get it out.

Latest posts

Back