Another new knife

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BRad704

Moderation
Reaction score
My dad told me he wanted to buy this one from me already... :)

8" OAL
4.5" blade
5160 steel
Hollow ground on 10" wheel
Hand rubbed 320 satin finish
Green Canvas Micarta and lovelace bolts from USA Knifemakers Supply

I am always open to opinions and critiques. As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
-Brad-

2011-04-12%2014.27.59.jpg

2011-04-12%2014.28.47.jpg

I finished the sheath last night... I am getting more comfortable with each one that I make, and I like this one a lot.

2011-04-12%2020.19.33.jpg

I know I need to clean up the holes in the belt-loop, that is on today's agenda..
2011-04-12%2020.20.06.jpg

Fighter and an all around camp knife I finished last week.
2011-04-12%2020.20.36.jpg

Those are real nice. How do the blades hold up to normal abuse? Do they keep there edge pretty good? Have you figured out a way to get your name on them yet?

I am still working on sharpening these... but from the time and difficulty it is taking to get them honed down, I don't see edge-retention being too much of an issue...

No definite plans on the name yet... I need to figure that out asap though...

I know you talked about the sticker and acid part, is that common? That seems like an easy way, just have a bunch of outline stickers made and use em up.

yeah, that is sort of a bastardization of the standard way... Most pro's use a custom made stencil that they tape down on the blade, and its reusable. and also an AC/DC etching machine. One current cuts deep, the other blackens. That is typically how you get the deep black maker's marks.

I think for now, I would be content to use the vinyl masks and etch lightly over that... I can get a 12x12 sheet of vinyl cut with as many names as will fit, for $20 at a local graphics shop.

OR, I could get a set of punches and set my initials in the steel before it is hardened. There is a guy in TX named Randy Haas that is a for-real PRO and he just stamps HHH in all his blades.

I am still working on sharpening these... but from the time and difficulty it is taking to get them honed down, I don't see edge-retention being too much of an issue...

No definite plans on the name yet... I need to figure that out asap though...

What grade steal are you using?

1/4" 5160 Spring Steel, hardened and oven-tempered...

So then high carbon?

It takes a bit to get an edge on them, but then it last. I went through more than a few chef knives when I was cooking, I found a happy middle ground in high carbon with daily honing.

I had some higher end ones that were to soft.

I also have some higher end cooking knives that I don't care for at all. I have a few that I have gathered at yard sales that are great.

Brad I need a stiletto.

Ok, lemme take these one at a time... :)

No, not really high carbon like 1080 or 1095... 5160 is actually around 60% carbon which is much lower than others. I just know it is a very traditional steel for either big knives/choppoers or heavy users.

My kitchen knives are cheap stainless, probably 440A... but my favorite knives in the kitchen are 2 that my grandfather made from Hi-Speed bandsaw blades. :) they are without a doubt my favorites to use on anything from bread to fruit to boning.

Filet knives are really super thin overall, and I don't know that I'm ready to just into that yet... But one day!

Stiletto? for what? ;) I have thought about making some small boot daggers. I think that would be fun...

Stiletto? for what? ;) I have thought about making some small boot daggers. I think that would be fun...

Fun, appreciation, stabbing.

I like knives.

Fun, appreciation, stabbing.

I like knives.

Ah-ha.... I see... :)

I like ALL types of knives and am not opposed to trying to make anything with reason, I just have a lot ready to be ground already and need to get some of those done first. I'll keep the stiletto in mind though. And you know it will only be allowed to be sharpened on one side, right? I'm pretty sure there are strict laws against anything being sharpened fully on 2 edges.

Ah-ha.... I see... :)

I like ALL types of knives and am not opposed to trying to make anything with reason, I just have a lot ready to be ground already and need to get some of those done first. I'll keep the stiletto in mind though. And you know it will only be allowed to be sharpened on one side, right? I'm pretty sure there are strict laws against anything being sharpened fully on 2 edges.

Double bladed present it's own issues, I understand the purpose and function in a stabbing only implement, but it's no longer necessary as armor has fallen out of fashion.

What's going on Brad? Anything in the works?

I've had quite a lot going on this week... I explained it all on JF cause there's more traffic there, but basically, pending some paperwork, I will be single again soon...

So, knifemaking has been off for this week, at least until I get my stuff back this weekend.

As for the single-stuff... I'm fine, it was of my own choosing. I am honestly bored and lonely, but that's only cause I'm not busy at work and have nothing to do in the evenings... :|

OH... I did make a website... Check it out...
http://www.taylorblades.com

I've had quite a lot going on this week... I explained it all on JF cause there's more traffic there, but basically, pending some paperwork, I will be single again soon...

So, knifemaking has been off for this week, at least until I get my stuff back this weekend.

As for the single-stuff... I'm fine, it was of my own choosing. I am honestly bored and lonely, but that's only cause I'm not busy at work and have nothing to do in the evenings... :|

OH... I did make a website... Check it out...
http://www.taylorblades.com

I hope you get everyhting that's yours. Sorry to hear it man.

I like your site. I'll check it out as you develop it.

I didn't arrive with much, and am not leaving with much, but I feel that is fair. I am the one walking away, and I have no ill-will toward her and do not want her or her own kids to go without. It just was not the place/situation/life i needed to be in any longer.

Thanks, Its not much, and I may just scrap the whole thing and start over with a real (read: not free) site one day. But for now, it at least gets my stuff out there where I can show it to people easily.

Back