A couple pics of my work.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you know exactly where the level is for the hydrant? Do you use the same transit that is being used for the facility? Do they just provide elevation plans for you to follow?

When they stake out the lines they put metal hubs in the ground and then they will have a cut or fill to finished surface. We have a nice laser that we use to set our elevations, the same one we use for slopes on the drain pipe.

When I was a kid, we use to play at construction sites and use the metal stakes for sword fights. I bet there were some pissed off folks on their work day.

Poured in place structures? Not that common around here, almost always precast. Are you doing that as well, with your guys, subbing it out?

What do you think of the corrugated HDPE storm drains? Do you think that they will last over time as well as RCP?

phishfood said:
Poured in place structures? Not that common around here, almost always precast. Are you doing that as well, with your guys, subbing it out?

What do you think of the corrugated HDPE storm drains? Do you think that they will last over time as well as RCP?

Poured in place is getting less common around here. We sometimes do them ourselves but there are so many on this project that it made sense to sub it out.

Rcp will definitely last longer and be stronger but i do like installing the hdpe more. I have seen ten year old hdpe lines that have major issues.

Wow. I never realized all that went in to setting up a fire hydrant. That is so cool to see.
I still remember the argument my elderly friend had with the city when they had a fire hydrant installed right next to his fence and had the part that hooks to the hose facing his fence so nothing could hook to it. They sent him a nasty letter about how he built his fence too close to the fire hydrant and he would have to move it.
He called them and replied that his fence had been there for 50 years and they were the ones who put the hydrant in recently so they had to move their hydrant.
They never bothered him about it again-- but they also didn't do anything with the hydrant.

All they would have to so is turn the hydrant so the outlets faced the other way. Most of the time we are required to have the 4" snoot facing the road unless there is not 3' of clear opening then we are supposed to turn them at a 45 degree angle.

When I was a kid, we use to play at construction sites and use the metal stakes for sword fights. I bet there were some pissed off folks on their work day.

We did too. I grew up in the housing boom of the 80's, so we got to use new construction for forts and castles. It was a good childhood.

All they would have to so is turn the hydrant so the outlets faced the other way. Most of the time we are required to have the 4" snoot facing the road unless there is not 3' of clear opening then we are supposed to turn them at a 45 degree angle.

Yeah, but apparently the monkeys they hired to install it had the opening facing the fence and it was so close that it was almost touching the fence.

We had a gasket blow out of our line during a test last night. Puts us a day behind and caused this crator.

image-2858051598.jpg

image-2136366296.jpg

did it explode,and did you get to see it?

It did but I was in the other side of the job and only got to watch a gauge drop.

Is this something that was sort of anticipated (and why a test was conducted) or was it a failure where the big boss is going to frown on your work?

We always test for leaks at 200psi for two hours. This happened from a fitting with a defect. With as many feet of pipe and how many fittings we installed there is bound to be a few issues.

Well, I'm glad you test it and that it was discovered before everything was done and buried. I'm sure you probably have to test it, but I know quite a few people who skip steps like that.

It is, also you might want to look into why it is posting double pictures from Tapatalk.

Back