(Zurn) Wilkins 700 Regulator

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamberg

Professional
Professional
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if a Wilkins (Zurn) 700 regulator is adjustable?

Installed a whole house filter and water softener, pressure started out at 65 psi (at furthest point hose bib) and is now at 37psi. (regulator pics attached)

Photo Feb 20, 4 35 35 PM.jpg
Photo Feb 20, 4 36 20 PM.jpg

That’s a dual check backflow preventer. It’s not a pressure regulator, so it’s not adjustable.

Check your pressure immediately before and immediately after your new filter setup.

it could be your new gear.

Might be that check valve going bad.

Check your pressure immediately before and immediately after your new filter setup.
it could be your new gear.
Might be that check valve going bad.

Bought a couple Sharkbite pressure gauges - VERY COOL little "tools"

Pic below is between main shut off and meter - so ~70psi @ 1:30 on a Saturday

Also installed one after new filter & softener. With 2 showers running it dropped down to 37psi - way more than I though it should and, I'm guessing would be more with washers running!?

Should I check the pressure after the check valve and before the filter? Is it possible the check valve is restricting or going bad?

If not - is there any possible way to get the pressure up from the street?

IMG_4017a.jpg

1646054440783.png

37 psi with two showers running may be all you’ll get.

65 psi is fine. Sounds like your volume is restricted. Check valves can and will absolutely restrict volume, especially when the go bad.....

Plus you have all that filter gear restricting flow.

37 psi with two showers running may be all you’ll get.

65 psi is fine. Sounds like your volume is restricted. Check valves can and will absolutely restrict volume, especially when the go bad.....

Plus you have all that filter gear restricting flow.

Best way to check the check valve? Can I by-pass and see what happens (good/bad idea)?

If the check valve is not the cause, are there options to increase the pressure pre-meter?

Best way to check the check valve? Can I by-pass and see what happens (good/bad idea)?

If the check valve is not the cause, are there options to increase the pressure pre-meter?

I suggested a pressure gauge before and after your filter gear.

I doubt the city will do anything if you have 65 psi.

The check valve, meter or the city’s service pipe can restrict VOLUME and still give you 65 psi.

But the fact you still have 37 psi with two showers running tells me that’s probably not the case. It’s probably your filter gear restricting volume.

Was there a problem with pressure or volume before you installed the filter gear ?

I suggested a pressure gauge before and after your filter gear.
...It’s probably your filter gear restricting volume. Was there a problem with pressure or volume before you installed the filter gear ?

Short answer to that was maybe (my very best attorney impression!). Past several months it was getting worse - would sometimes go to a trickle if both showers were running at same time. Weird part was the "kids" shower would notice it the most, but was closest to the main.

(side-note edit: called the Township W&S authority who told me: pre-meter pressures can range from 25psi to 90psi! Seems like a "We don't have to care, we're the Water Company" kind of answer! 😂 ))

Could be that backflow preventer. I’ve had them do it before.

Disconnect the Union nut and see if the guts will come out of it. Or replace it.

(side-note edit: called the Township W&S authority who told me: pre-meter pressures can range from 25psi to 90psi! Seems like a "We don't have to care, we're the Water Company" kind of answer! 😂 ))

That is why a lot of people use a booster pump with a Cycle Stop Valve to deliver strong constant 60 PSI no matter how many showers are running. But check your filters first as that sounds like what is restricting the water. Probably not the check valve.

This is quickly becoming a royal PITA! Removed the check valve and there was no discernable difference. Added another pressure gauge - and here is what we have now.

3/4" line from curb stop to 5/8" meter.
Meter to water filter - 3/4"
inlet to water filter is 1"
1" from water filter to water softener
1" out of water softener to 3/4" reducer to house main
  • pressure from street before meter: 65psi
  • pressure after meter - before filter (check valve removed): 65psi
  • pressure after filter & softener: 65 psi (no load)
  • pressure after filter & softener: 29 psi (2-showers running - shows 5.14 gmp usage)
So to your point(s) it appears the filter and softener are significantly "hindering" pressure out.

Question; would increasing everything from the 3/4" (main line in) to 1" (so 1" from the main shutoff to the 5/8" meter out to the filter) help in any way, shape or form??

Sounds like your volume is being restricted by the filter gear.

There’s a relationship between volume and pressure. You can have good static pressure and low flow.

Sounds like your volume is being restricted by the filter gear.
There’s a relationship between volume and pressure. You can have good static pressure and low flow.

No doubt at this point!

Question is, would going from 3/4" (pre-filter) to 1" help at all?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back