Would we benefit from a softener?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desertsunrise

Reaction score
Hello, we're getting a lot of limescale on our fixtures, and I'm unclear how much a water softener would help. According the town water department our total hardness is 2.2 grains or 38 ppm. From my research that means not very hard. None of my neighbors have water softeners. I don't want to invest in a softener if it's a waste, but can't help but wonder how much improvement we'd get by installing one. Would it make a difference in this case?

I religiously install softeners when I buy a house. use 20-30% less detergent. Glassware is always shiny, no water spots. May daughters always remark how their hair is softer compared to their mother's house where the there is no water softener. No hard water spots on fridge water dispenser or anywhere else for that matter. I also installed a whole house filter. I did not have a drain in the garage but luckily I was able to run the discharge under the crawl space and catch a trap. My water isn't isn't even that hard in VA but for that little cost I don't mind. The outdoor faucets ar not fed through the softener and I had to wire an outlet. Kinda nervous when I cut that PEX to the whole house but it all worked out, now I have plenty isolations to include remote wifi valve. Rheem water softener about 550 $ i think

Some manufacturers make what they call a "City Softener" for city water. The scale you are seeing is most likely hardness from chlorine.

Back