Worth replacing old NH cast iron??

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

branimal

Reaction score
Can I reuse this stuff? For a free standing tub. Will be seldomly used.

It's probably from the late 1980s

ec0e96006eb07d1f9cf3e0d61dc973be.jpg

e7075431db92c185f820370bb1c44274.jpg

Last edited:
Almost anything is 'reusable.' Even something that is now over 20 years old and (as it appears) in very bad condition.

The real questions are what are you going to reuse it for, and how often do you want to redo that reuse.

What you show is full of corrosion products and (dependent on intended use) is not put together the way most modern-day codes allow.

My general way of doing repairs or (especially) new installations is to start with new materials. That means I will (hopefully) only have to do it once in my lifetime.

We are just starting the overhaul of an ~40 year old water filtration plant that supplies water to ~35 connections in our subdivision. In spite of a couple of users saying we should reuse some of the 40 year old steel piping and fittings, we are going with all new 2" schedule 80 PVC piping, new valves, new gauges, and a modern control system. Hopefully the rework will last another 40 years!!

Your requirements and results may vary!!

Almost anything is 'reusable.' Even something that is now over 20 years old and (as it appears) in very bad condition.

The real questions are what are you going to reuse it for, and how often do you want to redo that reuse.

What you show is full of corrosion products and (dependent on intended use) is not put together the way most modern-day codes allow.

My general way of doing repairs or (especially) new installations is to start with new materials. That means I will (hopefully) only have to do it once in my lifetime.

We are just starting the overhaul of an ~40 year old water filtration plant that supplies water to ~35 connections in our subdivision. In spite of a couple of users saying we should reuse some of the 40 year old steel piping and fittings, we are going with all new 2" schedule 80 PVC piping, new valves, new gauges, and a modern control system. Hopefully the rework will last another 40 years!!

Your requirements and results may vary!!

Point taken. I live in a condo so I won't be able to change all my drain and vent runs. You're suggesting it's worth changing what's within easy access?

Latest posts

Back