Wondering..........

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windy

Reaction score
Okay, I started a thread in regards to changing the cartridge in my single handle faucet for my bathtub.

Here's a related question. I have lived in my house for over 25 years. I have changed the cartridge in the bathtub several times. I never once had to change the cartridge in the single handle faucet in the bathroom sink or the kitchen sink. Granted, the kitchen sink faucet is only about 6 years old or so. My bathtub begins to leak every 2-3 years or so. Why is that my bathtub faucet leaks fairly often but the sink faucets don't?

Last edited:
Windy said:
Okay, I started a thread in regards to changing the cartridge in my single handle faucet for my bathtub.

Here's a related question. I have lived in my house for over 25 years. I have changed the cartridge in the bathtub several times. I never once had to change the cartridge in the single handle faucet in the bathroom sink or the kitchen sink. Granted, the kitchen sink faucet is only about 6 years old or so. My bathtub begins to leak every 2-3 years or so. Why is that my bathtub faucet leaks fairly often but the sink faucets don't?

May sound a little awkward but here's my opinion, the reason your tub faucet leaks and not your lav faucet is because of the amount of water and minerals in that water that pass through the tub faucet as opposed to a lavatory faucet. Think about it your lavatory faucet passes what maybe two three gallons max at a time...while your tub is dumping 20 to 30 gallons at a time. More water equals more minerals to break down cartridge internals and clog parts.

May sound a little awkward but here's my opinion, the reason your tub faucet leaks and not your lav faucet is because of the amount of water and minerals in that water that pass through the tub faucet as opposed to a lavatory faucet. Think about it your lavatory faucet passes what maybe two three gallons max at a time...while your tub is dumping 20 to 30 gallons at a time. More water equals more minerals to break down cartridge internals and clog parts.

Thank you. That's probably it. The water here is very hard and I don't have a water softener.

Back