Winterizing a long solar heating run outside

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leicesterboy

Reaction score
The best position for my pool heating solar panels is about 200 ft away from the pool house which contains the pool pump and filter. I’ll probably be using 2” pipe to provide the connections in and out of the panels. Draining the panels in winter is easy….they are on tilted racks. However, I’m buggered (as my dad would say) if I can figure out how to run the pipes so they can get through a Canadian winter. If I dig a trench below the frost line (probably about 5’), there is still water at both ends coming to the surface that will freeze. If I slope from the panels to the pool house to drain, there would likely need to be some sort of deep accessible pit because the slope for 200 ft gets me about 5-6‘ down at the pool house. I can’t imagine how I could blow out 200’ of water in a 2” pipe out if I use shallow trench. Am I overcomplicating things? Any help much appreciated from this (obvious) non-plumbing guy.

Suck the water out with a pump and hose at the low end. A shop-vac would work too.

Back