Will not Drain fast

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larbec

Reaction score
How do I remove the drain plug so our sink will drain quickly.

image-1984039450.jpg

It's American Standard and has the pull knob on The sink

Google american standard speed connect drain, find the installation instruction pdf file. this will show you how to remove the stopper.

you have to twist off that gray connector under sink to remove pop-up. Be carefull though because ther is a plastic cam in it that moves the pop-up up and down. inside there is a plastic hook that holds pop-yp properly in drain.

If I unscrew the rod between the hot and cold handles will u still need to be careful with the plastic cam?

yes when you go to turn the plastic connector it will fall out so be careful you dont loos it or the drain will not work properly

Looking at the PDF it appears I will have to take the entire drain assembly out to accomplish what I'm after.

The sink drains SLOW what can I do to make it drain better?

Remove the stopper only to check for hair/build-up in the pop up assembly -- If there is no hair/build-up in the pop-up assembly, your drain line will need a good cleaning with a power snake.

You can try a ZIP-IT before removing the stopper to see if it pulls anything out the pop-up assembly

Go to american standard.com -Type speed connect drain in the search box -- under product, click on triump centerset faucet w/speed connect drain -- when that page comes up ,find downloads and click on installation/instruction. now you have a picture to see how to remove the stopper .

I think you have hair/ build-up in the pop-up(drain assembly) or the drain line is partially clogged.

I've seen several circumstances where the overflow is clogged by build up or excessive plumbers putty... Try removing the pop-up first to see if the fixture drains properly. The in-wall piping may not be obstructed. If the sink drains ok without the pop-up, make sure to adjust it for maximum travel upon re-installation. If its not high enough, it won't drain properly either.

I pulled the goose neck off and ran a 50ft snake with my Rigid auto and it was pretty clean.

I'm certain it had something to do with the installation re plumber did a yr ago. It never drained fast.

Is the assembly The whole faucet? What do I want to take apart?

It drains better but still slow. When I take the drain plug out it drains fast. Is there an adjustment to make to get it to drain faster?

It drains better but still slow. When I take the drain plug out it drains fast. Is there an adjustment to make to get it to drain faster?

Set the Pop-up/drain assembly to the unlock mode this will allow you to set the loop at the bottom of the stopper on the cam instead of cam being inside of loop, this should raise the stopper alittle. In order to fill the sink you will need to spin the stopper 180 degree so it will set low enough to stop the water from draining. Go to American STD site to see instruction on how to set the unlock mode.

Back