Will Increasing Pressure Tank Size, Increase Pressure?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Admin

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
We have a shallow well of 40' and there is not much water.

Redrilling right now is not an option.

We have issues with pressure esp. after the tank is drained.

Right now we have a 30 gallon tank. If I installed a 100 gallon tank, could we expect better pressure?

Keep in mind that I am not a well guy, so take my thoughts with a liberal dose of salt.

It sounds as though the well will not give enough water to satisfy the demand.
So a larger reservoir should help, as the pump can build up a lot more water during the times that you aren't using it.

A larger pressure tank will make your pressure worse. The pump will be trying to refill the big tank at the same time you are using water. With a weak well, the best thing is a storage tank that holds a few hundred or a thousand gallons. Your weak well can take its time filling a storage tank. Then you need a booster pump and the pressure tank drawing from the storage tank. Even a 1 GPM well will make 1440 gallons per day. You just need a place to store it and a booster pump so you can have more flow when you need it.

So between the storage tank and pressure tank you need another pump? You can't just feed the storage to pressure without a pump?

Also I guess I am confused on the functionality of the pressure tank. As soon as the pressure tank starts to drain, the pump starts refilling it?

I thought it took a certain amount of gallons to drain before the well pump kicked in thus if we got a much larger pressure tank, it would have more gallons to unload before the pump kicking in.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a true 42 gallon tank for instance or a 42 gallon equivalent bladder tank. There is only 6 usable gallons in that 42 gallon tank. The pump doesn't kick on until the entire 6 gallons is used. Now it's up to the pump to keep up with demand. The biggest bladder tank made only physically holds 40 gallons. If you were to use water in that 40 gallon tank down to just before the pump were to come on. You will run out of water very soon next time you demand water for... say a shower.

How big is the tank that physically holds 40 gallons?

And to revisit do you have to have a pump between the pressure and storage tanks or will the pressure tank automatically pull from the storage?

You are better off to use a storage tank as speedbump and valveman are saying as you also REALLY REALLY dont want to drain the well aquifer too much once pumped dry they dont always recover and yeild water again.

Latest posts

Back