Will I run into problems trying to drain a washer like this?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soulman1980

Reaction score
Hey folks,
Thanks in advance for any help or advice. I grealty appreciate it, first time post too!

I'm looking to add a washer/dryer in a basement. My questions is in concern to the washer drain hose.

Right now I have a ceiling level (low ceiling, about 7 feet) drain pipe (1 1/2" PVC) that is used for my water softener backwash drain. Can I simply "T" into this drain, add a P-trap, and hook my washer maching drain into it?

Will the 90 degree turn of the T cause a problem or overflow? The current drain is about an 8 foot run that connects directly into a large iron main sewage drain.

The second concern is the pipe has a very mild pitch, it works perfectly for what it is used for now, probably an inch every 2-3 feet?

The last concern was is a check valve or anything similar needed when a washer drain hose is making a 7' straight vertical run?

Thanks again for any advice.

I apologize if I missed anything.

I believe your first concern is whether a washing machine has the ability to pump 8' vertically without burning out the pump quickly.

Thanks for the concern with the vertical run, I did have the same concern but according to the manual and the installation specifications 8 feet is the maximum vertical run. It says beyond 8' a sump pump system would be required.

The actual run will probably be more likely to be around 7' to 7 1/2'. So, I don't think this should put undue stress on the washer itself.

Currently, I mentioned there is a 1 1/2" PVC drain that goes from my water system (where there is a trap) in the corner, accross the room directly into the main sewage drain.

My goal is to tap into that drain in the middle and put an additional trap with an open pipe to clip on the drain hose.

So, the question that remains is:

1) how long does the drain pipe need to be (where the hose will connect)? Can it be only 4-6" deep (w/ trap)?

2) will the 90 degree angle from the PVC "T" from the split be a problem with the speed a washer pumps out water?

By code, and for good reason, the minimum size for a washing machine drain is 2".

Also, the drop from the top of the standpipe to the Ptrap is supposed to be 18", with a maximum of (I believe) 36".

Unless you can come up with another way to drain the washing machine, I would recommend against it.

Thank you so much for the information.

"from the top of the standpipe to the Ptrap is supposed to be 18""

That is exactly what I was looking for - just didn't know the terms and how to explain it.

I figure a standpipe any shorter than that you risk water spraying back up as it hits the bottom of the P-Trap?

Thanks again.

Back