Why two main sewer lines?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longsmith

Reaction score
I have a 115 year old house in Memphis that has gone through several conversions over the years. It was a single family home, then a duplex and now back to single family. Always had just one main water supply line. But I've discovered that a toilet has been piped into a completely separate 4" cast iron drain that runs underneath another 4" cast iron drain to the outside of the house. Not sure if they ever intersect but they don't at least in the 4 foot area I dug up outside the house. Nothing else is plumbed into this line. Why would I have two separate 4" drains leaving the house? It would have been very easy to connect into the one that sits on top of it. Either way the one underneath that only connects to the toilet is rotted out and has to go. It has a 4" soil stack but I'm considering just tapping into the one on top. Any ideas?

image.jpg

Last edited:
my old no longer functional storm line was pretty much right on top of my sewer line

they can share a trench

but thats just what mine was

I've seen some strange things for sure in the house. Fortunately the functional one is on top. I hope the picture can be seen well enough. It actually crosses underneath it so I can't figure how they could ever intersect.

Back