Why to drain lines at kitchen sink

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tfastle

Reaction score
I am adding a Cosita to our house with a small kitchen. I am finishing and topping out myself. Why did the plumber put two lines for the kitchen sink drain? I'm guessing it would be for a disposal but want to make sure it's not a venting that requires a special loop under the sink. Just never seen two coming out of the wall like this (see picture).

Hummm... just looked at the picture again, I'm changing my guess to "a clean-out" and I should top out with a threaded cap :eek:) .

Thanks for any input!

ps - couldn't find anthing on how to add a photo, I assume as an attachment which is what I did.

DSC_0414.jpg

looks like he has 2 drains, 1 for disposal, 1 for the sink

it is your option to use 1 or both.

i see something. it looks like the drain is roughed in center of the window?

if the sink is going to be centered on the window, the drain, needs to be 8'' offset

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Under+Sink+Plumbing+Diagram&view=detailv2&&id=FFD1B983C295FDF6D463339A9DFF326CD630F8BE&selectedIndex=1&ccid=uw6WRuhU&simid=608031679004280240&thid=OIP.Mbb0e9646e85445c8aad09675030f2c44H0

search

IMAG0559.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. The sink will be centered but it will be a single sink. It's a small Cosita or guest house with limited counter space. Very much appreciate the input!

Last edited:
little something you can do before sheet rock. if your handy with a saw and hammer

walk around the house and visualise where you will hang pictures, usually what? 6' or 6'6'' off the floor

put a boad up, up in the corners of the windows, where you will hang drapes. put a board up.

something to screw to later, closets, for extra shelves

in the bathroom, towel bars, knick knacks..

garage, for tools

just a thought

Thanks for the info and replies, did block for drapes, towel hangers, shelves and such but not pictures, probably should have. Truth is, this picture is from mid-summer, it's already been insulated and rocked but kitchen cabinets are not in. Here is why/how this came up. Put in a separate septic for this guest house. Whenever we used the commode the kitchen/living area smelled terrible for hours. I went back to my trusty pictures (I've learned to always take pictures of projects as they go in - can be a life saver) and saw the 2 drains and yet only 1 coming out of the sheet rock. Yep, they rocked right over the other one (WTF!!!!). Yesterday I opened up the rock, stubbed and capped. I'm pretty sure stench will be gone. Also, I think I'll cap the upper drain as a clean out to insure I'll never need it (If I don't... I will :eek:) ) Again, thanks for all the input - great forum!

Latest posts

Back