Why is my sump pump plumbed this way?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NaddaPlummer

Reaction score
Hey guys, new home owner here. I have a sump pump but have never seen one plumbed the way mine is. There is a split, one pipe goes out of the house (haven’t figured out where to yet) and the other pipe runs along my basement ceiling then taps into another drain pipe. Both pipes have gate valves so the water can be directed or shut off all together. Here’s a picture to help...

85725EF7-F71D-4BB4-91D7-BDFE2169A28C.jpg

DFC72B70-3EA3-4A65-9EA0-00CF14F89AF4.jpg

AF6A3FAA-903D-40F2-9332-EE28B8EAFC01.jpg

5DFD1472-C898-4FFA-B389-6DB49D9F2474.jpg

16377BD3-79D7-4DF8-A65D-3AD2AF83D33D.jpg

I'm mass we pump ground water outside not allowed to tie into
sewer were does the 3" go?? ???? I have one at my house that
ties I to the downspout gets buried and pitched to the back
corner of the yard

Going to make some assumption.
Pump is for ground/storm water and not for sewage.

I rotated 1st pic. Pump is at bottom of 1st pic.

You have 2 pumps in the sump. There are 2 power cords in outlet
Both lines A & B have check valves that you can't see in photo.

The line "D" going into concrete wall could be a discharge to the exterior landscape somewhere.

??? are both valves open?

The line "E" is the discharge line you followed with the camera.

Post up a picture of the lines below A & B

The 1st wye I presumed is because you have 2 pump.
As long as there are good working check valves after both pumps it should work just fine.

85725EF7-F71D-4BB4-91D7-BDFE2169A28C.jpg

Glad you figured that picture out David because it had me thrown for a loop. Probably has a backup in there.

Two lines are common (and not legal...) in cold weather climates like where I live. Pump to outside when temps above freezing, illegally in to main drain during freezing weather. That way no dealing with how to keep outside drain line from freezing and backing up.

Sorry guys, the pictures took a 90 degree turn to the left when I uploaded. Didn’t mean for that to happen. I guess it’s a backup? I’m in Ohio so it does get pretty cold here. I was pretty sure it was illegal. I do have an inspector coming soon. Is that something he is going to make me change? The valve for the line going into main drain is stuck good, I couldn’t turn it for the life of me. Also, how do I track down where the water is going when it is pumped outside? There is an outlet on the curb where it appears the water should drain to similar to my parents who live next block over. The water doesn’t drain to the street though. There is a sinking spot in my front yard I’m starting to wonder if there is an issue with the drainage and that was another reason for routing the water into my main line.

Thanks for any replies

Mike

I hope that the sump isn't tied directly into the sanitary. Most sumps are not a sealed system.

I hope that the sump isn't tied directly into the sanitary. Most sumps are not a sealed system.

I’m not an expert in plumbing....in fact I know nothing about plumbing. It does look as if it is tied into the sanitary. What issues could I be looking at in the future? Also, is there a better alternative or a more practical way of plumbing this system?

If there is any type of negative pressure in the house sewer gas could be pulled through that line and into the sump pit. I would have someone that has some knowledge look at it and find out what i what and where it is going

Back