whole house filtration system for well/setament/quality/taste?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johndoe123123

Reaction score
I need advice on the best whole-house water conditioning/filtering system.

I have a house on a well with hard water, which necessitates the use of a water softener. I also get sediment from time to time from the well, that I need to filter out. I

would also like to improve the taste of the water, because currently I do not drink it, although it is perfectly safe to do so.

What is the best solution to my problems within a reasonable budget? I'd imagine some sort of whole house filtration system would be key, but who makes the better ones at a

reasonable price point? Or is a simple canister filter or similar from home depot adequate?

Finally, since the filtration systems are typically prior to the water softener, is it possible to reduce the sodium (salt) taste and count that is present in the water due to aggressive softening?

Finally, here is the water report if it helps:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/1n1J...HoolYJrZUctEIeW8DrU6zJ7w6jeO/edit?usp=sharing

According to your water analysys your water is not hard. It's only 2 mgl which is soft. There is just a smidgen of iron and manganese. There is nothing to filter. If it tastes bad to you, a carbon filter might help some, but I'm not talking about a big box whole house filter which is an oxymoron. There is some sodium in your water and that might be why your tasting salt. Your softener (which is not needed) should never give a salt taste.

According to your water analysys your water is not hard. It's only 2 mgl which is soft. There is just a smidgen of iron and manganese. There is nothing to filter. If it tastes bad to you, a carbon filter might help some, but I'm not talking about a big box whole house filter which is an oxymoron. There is some sodium in your water and that might be why your tasting salt. Your softener (which is not needed) should never give a salt taste.

Hi Speedbump,

I should clarify, the water sample was taken from the kitchen sink, and is after a water softener. I'm sure the water is soft due to the water softener, and unfortunately sodium high, also due to the water softener.

As you might guess, I know nothing about these devices.

Oh boy, Ok, the water sample should always be taken from a raw water tap close to the well before any filtration equipment. If in fact your softener is giving your water a salty taste, it's either not set up properly or it's defective in some way.

Latest posts

Back