Whole House Filter

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

appgrad99

Reaction score
I have a whole house water filter and I am trying to change the filter. I can't get the red button to release the pressure so I can unscrew the filter housing. I turn off the main cut off valve, open the faucets to let the remaining water out of the pipe, and push the red button on the filter. The water trickles out of the top around the release button, but never goes down far enough to let me unscrew the base because of the pressure.

Layout Details:
- outside water line into basement
- cut off valve
- filter
- water heater
- line to rest of the house
- there is no second cut off valve between the filter and water heater to isolate the filter

This is the second whole house filter I've had. The first one lasted about 15 years before it started leaking around the red pressure release button. The new one was plumbed in the same exact way as the old one, but this is the first time I've tried to change the filter.

What else can I try? Thank you in advance for suggestions!

**I can upload a picture of the layout this afternoon if needed.**

It's doing what it's supposed to. The red button has nothing to do with releasing the cartridge housing. The housing can be very hard to turn,even with pressure relieved. Turn harder with consistent pressure, it will come loose.

It's doing what it's supposed to. The red button has nothing to do with releasing the cartridge housing. The housing can be very hard to turn,even with pressure relieved. Turn harder with consistent pressure, it will come loose.
Ok thank you. I must be remembering incorrectly about the one I had before. My unit did not come with a filter wrench so I will order one. There is no way I can do it manually. I have tried on 2 separate occasions for a good length of time....it just won't budge. Thanks again!

Shut off the water at the incoming valve , then slightly open a fitting on the downstream side for a second or two to relieve the pressure . Water will spray out, of course , so be prepared . Opening faucets may also help.

i used to use an automotive oil filter strap(avaliable at any auto parts store) to remove the filter housing. did this for years....always worked and never had a problem.

How long since it's been changed ? I have a whole house that says it's good for 7 years. But it's a big one and backwashes every week.

I was able to open it yesterday. For anybody else searching for an answer that doesn't have immediate access to a filter or strap wrench, what worked was using a hair dryer around the threads for a few minutes...just enough to get it warm. Not ideal, but definitely worked in a pinch.

A leather belt is also a great way to remove filter housings, as well as oil filters. Loop the leather around the otem you want to remove, hook it through the D ring, and it will tighten up against the canister as you twist it off.

Back