where ??

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frodo

Just call me Macgyver
Professional
Supporting Member
Reaction score
right here right now, over there later on.
where are you guys coming up with this rule . no one but a licensed plumber can turn off a water meter?
I have only plumbed in 4 states. this was not true in those states

seems to me this would be a town by town / state by state type of ordinance not a blanket one

qustion.gif

And a homeowner can't touch a gas pipe, can't secure a flue vent, can't service sprinklers, etc. Hell, I've been doing it all, including replacing electric service meters, installing electric fencing, and even rebuilt engines. Amazing what some of us can do without someone telling us "we can't do that!"

where are you guys coming up with this rule . no one but a licensed plumber can turn off a water meter?
I have only plumbed in 4 states. this was not true in those states

seems to me this would be a town by town / state by state type of ordinance not a blanket one

View attachment 23670
First I've heard of it. Must not be a thing where I live. LOL. Although, I bet if they charged fees for it they would make it a rule to get every last cent they could out of people.

Frodo are you talking about the curb box??
YES

I keep reading on here that the homeowner is not allowed to turn the water off at the meter

I am trying to find out if this is a regular thing all over

because i have never heard of it before.

Then ONLY thing a homeowner can not do is turn on a service that has been cut off by the utility company
they have to pay the deposit and fill out an app.

But as far as turning your meter off to perform maintenance. A home owner is allowed by code to perform maintenance
And in order to do so MUST turn off the wa wa

At least that is the way it is in the states I have been in

And a homeowner can't touch a gas pipe, can't secure a flue vent, can't service sprinklers, etc. Hell, I've been doing it all, including replacing electric service meters, installing electric fencing, and even rebuilt engines. Amazing what some of us can do without someone telling us "we can't do that!"

did you get my pm?
i sent you a tracking number

First I've heard of it. Must not be a thing where I live. LOL. Although, I bet if they charged fees for it they would make it a rule to get every last cent they could out of people.

That is the cable co around here. I am surprised they dont charge you if you call them
bastids !!!!

For the millions of people that have their water meter in their basement and rely on that main valve just upstream of the meter, to shut off certain portions of their house, I'd say it typically wouldn't apply.

Curb cocks, as mentioned, likely would be "town by town / state by state type of ordinance"

In my town,the home owner is responsible for the water service line from the curb cock in to the meter, in the basement.

When our main valve, AT THE METER, must be replaced, my town will come out to shut off the curb cock and return to reopen it when the work is done. No charge.

They don't want people messing with the curb cocks.

I imagine there are all types of scenarios, as mentioned above, "
town by town / state by state type of ordinance..."

I think this whole discussion is based on a misconception.

There is a current thread where the OP has a defective main shutoff valve, at the meter.
And also a defective shutoff under a sink.
Actually he created two related and confusing threads, which was a dumb move in my opinion.

His broken gate valve, inside at the meter, does nothing but spin without doing anything.

Meanwhile, that broken gate valve is choking back his house water flow rate.

People have been advising him to not touch it, to only have a pro work in it.
He agrees, but then he seems to want to try to fix some things by himself, adding confusion.

Meanwhile, he is being advised that he will likely have to call his city water dept to turn off the curb cock out by the street, for a pro plumber to be able to service the valve at the meter inside the house.

Others seem to have said that in some jurisdictions, pro plumbers are allowed to operate the city valve at the street.

So inside and outside, city and private, curb cocks and meter valves, are being mixed up, conflated, and confused.

But I don’t think anyone is claiming that only the city or a licensed plumber can operate the main shutoff valve on your water meter inside your own house.

I think this whole discussion is based on a misconception.

There is a current thread where the OP has a defective main shutoff valve, at the meter.
And also a defective shutoff under a sink.
Actually he created two related and confusing threads, which was a dumb move in my opinion.

His broken gate valve, inside at the meter, does nothing but spin without doing anything.

Meanwhile, that broken gate valve is choking back his house water flow rate.

People have been advising him to not touch it, to only have a pro work in it.
He agrees, but then he seems to want to try to fix some things by himself, adding confusion.

Meanwhile, he is being advised that he will likely have to call his city water dept to turn off the curb cock out by the street, for a pro plumber to be able to service the valve at the meter inside the house.

Others seem to have said that in some jurisdictions, pro plumbers are allowed to operate the city valve at the street.

So inside and outside, city and private, curb cocks and meter valves, are being mixed up, conflated, and confused.

But I don’t think anyone is claiming that only the city or a licensed plumber can operate the main shutoff valve on your water meter inside your own house.

I am talking about the curb stop . in a meter box. outside. not a valve in your house

I know my curb box is in tbe street so framinham owns an operates the curb bix
in boston some curb boxes are on the street city owned and operated
we had an instance were a water mai broke on campus the bld was flooding
One of our guys shut off the city curb box in the street and broke it closed
But stopped the flooding
we had to pay for the dig and curb cock
it was cheaper than a flooded bld and displaced
Personel

I know my curb box is in tbe street so framinham owns an operates the curb bix
in boston some curb boxes are on the street city owned and operated
we had an instance were a water mai broke on campus the bld was flooding
One of our guys shut off the city curb box in the street and broke it closed
But stopped the flooding
we had to pay for the dig and curb cock
it was cheaper than a flooded bld and displaced
Personel
This is why I always called the city to turn them off. Two guys from another company got on the key that was
tight and broke the valve off the city side. What a mess and expensive for that company.

Back