When washer drains it causes shower drain to back up

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humbolt

Reaction score
Hi all. I placed this tread in the General Plumbing Help category but had little response. So I thought I would place it in the Shower and Tub category.

All drains in basement drain properly to include the kitchen sink, the washer, shower, and bathroom sink. The only issue is that when the washer drains a small, medium, and large load, the shower drain will back up to the top of the shower drain pipe and overflow just a little bit before receding when washer finishes draining during the spin cycle. Also, the washer drain pipe does not back up but flows properly except for when it drains and causes the shower drain to back up to the rim of the drain pipe in the shower. Also, I poured a full bucket of water down the shower drain pipe and the water did not back up at all and drained properly.

What I am having trouble with is if the two drains are connected separately then both drains, washer and shower, should drain water properly without any backup. But when I take a shower I have no backup in the shower drain pipe...it drains properly. I cannot figure out why, when the washer drains, somehow the water draining from the washer is entering the shower drain pipe, via the p-trap, and causing a backup to the rim of the shower drain pipe causing a little overflow. How could that be happening...since the shower drains properly when taking a shower and does not back up? How is the water draining from the washer entering the shower p-trap and shower drain pipe?

Any thoughts are appreciated from this great community/forum. Thanks in advance.

Sure, the washing machine has a pump that puts more water into your drain than a shower does.

You have a partially clogged drain.

The shower is the lowest fixture on the branch so that’s where it’ll back up if the clog is past where the shower is connected.

You need a drain cleaning professional.

Thank you Twowaxhack... I appreciate your interest on my behalf. Hopefully I will get more comments and verification of a clogged drain or possibly any additional problem causing the shower drain backup.

Hi fairfieldfanatic...thanks for your comments. When I take a shower, the drain does not back up and drains properly. I do not notice any restriction. I also poured a full bucket of water directly down this shower drain, and again the water I poured in the drain did not back up and drained properly. I am aslo able to see the sewer pipe that leads to the street; there is a cutaway in this pipe that allows me to snake the sewer all the way to the street. So when I poured the full bucket of water down the shower drain, I can see that the water came flowing down into the sewer pipe without any noticiable restriction and to the street. But again, when the rinse cycle of the washer drains the washer water, the shower drain backs up to the top of the shower drain pipe and overflows into the shower a little bit before the water recedes after the rinse cycle is completed and all returns to normal.

I will attempt to snake the shower drain. It has been quite difficult to snake the p-trap in the shower drain.

Thanks again.

Good day guys.
Currently, I am using delta, shower faucet and trim 1400 series.
Can it be replaced by 1300 series?

Reason : the handle spinning without any grip. I tried removing the handle and thread got worn off …
When can I do

Attachments

• IMG_7742.jpeg
    IMG_7742.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7744.jpeg
    IMG_7744.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7749.mov
    22.4 MB
Good day guys.
Currently, I am using delta, shower faucet and trim 1400 series.
Can it be replaced by 1300 series?

Reason : the handle spinning without any grip. I tried removing the handle and thread got worn off …
When can I do
You would need to create a new thread. Start a whole new subject

Hi fairfieldfanatic...thanks for your comments. When I take a shower, the drain does not back up and drains properly. I do not notice any restriction. I also poured a full bucket of water directly down this shower drain, and again the water I poured in the drain did not back up and drained properly. I am aslo able to see the sewer pipe that leads to the street; there is a cutaway in this pipe that allows me to snake the sewer all the way to the street. So when I poured the full bucket of water down the shower drain, I can see that the water came flowing down into the sewer pipe without any noticiable restriction and to the street. But again, when the rinse cycle of the washer drains the washer water, the shower drain backs up to the top of the shower drain pipe and overflows into the shower a little bit before the water recedes after the rinse cycle is completed and all returns to normal.

I will attempt to snake the shower drain. It has been quite difficult to snake the p-trap in the shower drain.

Thanks again.
@Twowaxhack is correct, you have an obstruction past where the shower and washing machine join together. A shower will not put enough volume of water down the drain to cause a backup as the clog allows the water to drain quickly enough. Same with a bucket, it won't put enough water down the drain to overcome the partial clog drain flow. A washing machine will drain large amounts of water at once, often 20+ gallons at a time at a pumped high flow rate. Introducing more ware than the drain can handle do to the partial clog. You drain needs cleared.

Thanks to all of you fine folks to help me troubleshoot and determine my issue as stated above. I followed your recommendations and advice. So I was able to get a snake through the p-trap of the washer drain which was not fun, and all the way to where I could see the end of the snake in the sewer pipe beyond where the shower drain connectes to the drain that drains the washer, I have a cut out on the sewer pipe that sllows me to see beyond all drains of the house and then out to the street. I Did not see alot of debris on the end of the snake. But after that, I ran a large washer load of water and the shower drain did not back up...nor did it on a small or medium load. So whatever was causing the back up is no longer pesent. Thanks to mall of you for your comments. You are all so kind...Thanks again for your help

Latest posts

Back