When To Replace Kitchen Plumbing

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JIMMIEM

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The copper supply pipes and Globe Valves under my kitchen sink are real cruddy looking green and white corrosion (?). The Globe vales are stiff and I've had to redo the stem packing. There is also a tee off the hot water line for the dishwasher. Other than the stems nothing else has leaked. How do you decide if/when to replace the pipes and valves? It is all original (28 years old) but that along with the plumbing work in the rest of the house is kind of sloppy looking, e.g. scorched joists around solder joints, etc.

The copper supply pipes and Globe Valves under my kitchen sink are real cruddy looking green and white corrosion (?). The Globe vales are stiff and I've had to redo the stem packing. There is also a tee off the hot water line for the dishwasher. Other than the stems nothing else has leaked. How do you decide if/when to replace the pipes and valves? It is all original (28 years old) but that along with the plumbing work in the rest of the house is kind of sloppy looking, e.g. scorched joists around solder joints, etc.

I would say replace before you get water damage to the cabinets and floor

If there is no immediate issue, but you have concern obviously I would say use your best judgement. Most plumbing manufacturers represent a 30yr lifespan for there products some more some less but 30 seems to be the accepted time. Copper pipe can last longer but ive seen it burst sooner. The real question becomes, if you start replacing under the sink to prevent future issues, where do you stop, since all the pipe will be of similar age and condition?
http://www.integrityplumbingrepair.com

Back