what's up with this old building?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scully

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm completely clueless when it comes to construction and plumbing, so hopefully someone will be able to answer this easily. There's a small poolhouse in my backyard (about 14x14'), and I'm wondering why it's set up the way it is. There's a half bath in the far left corner. Why were the walls only built up so far (also why the heck are they so thick; seems like you'd wanna maximize space in here), and then there are pipes sticking out at the top. They're in line with the sink hook up (3rd picture). What's the purpose of this?

1223d1339980216-whats-up-old-building-3.jpg

1224d1339980236-whats-up-old-building-2.jpg

1225d1339980250-whats-up-old-building-1.jpg

Just a guess, but I am thinking that the waterlines in the top of the wall were intended to supply a second story that was in the original plan, but never got built.

Another guess, but I am thinking that the wall is concrete block, that is why it is so thick.

If this is a new purchase, it is possible the former homeowner got dinged by an inspector for being improperly built or not permitted, and this is why all is disconnected?

I haven't checked to see where you are located but it also may be the beginnings of a "safe room" where you could shelter in the event of a hurricane?

Back