What's up with the hot water??

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoodleehoo

Reaction score
I have no idea what's going on. My wife and I just moved in to a house and don't have enough money to pay for the furniture much less a plumber lol so any help would be greatly appreciated.

The hot water only lasts long enough for one bath usually. Sometimes not even that much. Other times it seems to last for quite a while.

During my showers, there will be several times each shower where it gets cold all of a sudden for a few seconds. I'm the only one up (early morning) and no washing machines or faucets are running nor is there a toilet being flushed.

Because of the kind of faucet the shower has I have to turn some cold water on with the hot to get enough water pressure, so as the hot water gets less hot I slowly inch the cold water down. But, every time I move the cold water down even a millimeter the water will get really cold for a second, then really hot, and then settle back to normal.

What on earth could be going on?? Any ideas? We bought the house from my wife's parents and they said there wasn't any problem before.

I'm not sure but I can find out. What exactly are you wanting to know? Brand name? Model? Just the type of tank it is?

deer-eating-popcorn.gif

Oh I'm sure it's frustrating having to deal with people who are clueless about plumbing. I have a lot of respect for guys like you and can't tell you how much I appreciate taking the time to help! :)

I tried not using as much hot water this morning in the shower and thus didn't use as much cold water so it kept the right temp. Seemed to not have the problems. Is it possible I had more hot water than the shower could pump out so it built up or something and got all screwy?

Back