What's This Contraption?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMayo

Reaction score
See attached - I bought my place a couple years ago, and this is one of the outside faucets that the previous owner installed. This is the only outside faucet that''s configured like this... the others are just PVC pipe straight into the faucet. Just wondering if anyone knows what this configuration accomplishes?

Attachments

• 20181102_115122.png
    20181102_115122.png
    141.6 KB · Views: 48
See attached - I bought my place a couple years ago, and this is one of the outside faucets that the previous owner installed. This is the only outside faucet that''s configured like this... the others are just PVC pipe straight into the faucet. Just wondering if anyone knows what this configuration accomplishes?
It's anyone's guess what the previous owner actually used it for. Just an additional connection by way of a male pipe thread connection, as far as I can figure.

Is it possible that the old owner hooked a "weep hose" irrigation system to that male outlet after removing the cap? Perhaps he removes that weep hose every winter.

I realize that it would be always on, but those weep hoses only allow a small amount of water through them as far as I know.

I hadn't really thought about it just being an additional connection, as Diehard suggested. There's no irrigation but he did keep goats back there for a time, and that faucet is very near a shelter he set up... I guess he may have used it for an automatic watering system.

It seems strange to me that whatever it was used for that it wouldn't have a valve on it.
Speaking of goats, etc., it's possible they had a backflow preventer on it and took it with them. They're not cheap.

Go find the previous owner and find out please. :p

Back