What's a Good Seal for a Round Offset Flange

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frontier05

Reaction score
I was changing out the 3-gallon flushers in both bathrooms with new water saving commodes and saw a round offset flange in the guest bath. Double stacked wax seals were used previously. Wax is messy and it has to be installed just right. I was considering a Danco Perfect Seal which partially encapsulates the wax at the flange level leaving a generous rubber gasket to seal to the horn on the commode. Supposedly, the commode can be removed without damaging the wax seal. On the other commode, there was no offset and I installed a Fernco Wax-Less seal which is working well. Anyone have experience working with offsets? The house has a concrete slab floor. I've spoken to my plumber and he's willing to re-do the drain line and install a new flange for about $450 not including repairs to the floor. He concurred to try the Danco PS or another set of double wax rings. Any suggestions? Thanks.

4 to 3 offset flange from home built in 1990.jpg

Double wax it if one wax is not enough. It's not so much the lack of wax with a seal failure, but a bowl mounted with out and wiggle.

I ALWAYS set the bowl in place with out a seal and check for any rocking.
Tile floors are rarely perfect. I shim any gaps so when you shift your weight any where on the bowl It doesn't wiggle. I put a little caulk on the bottom of each shim to hold it in place when I lift the bowl.
Then I set my wax on the flange. Most instructions tell you to place on bottom of bowl.
If you have wax contact before the bowl set on floor with a single wax then you don't really need a 2nd one.
or you can get an extra thick wax ring

Thanks. Since the top of the flange is not level with the floor, half high half flush; I was planning to get some plastic shims just to be sure the bowl was level. And I appreciate the suggestion to check first without a seal in place. I plan to caulk around the base when level and sealed.

Latest posts

Back