What would you do? Irrigation line repair.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasTwister

Reaction score
Hi everyone. This project started out to rehabilitate a flower bed into a rose garden. As I began digging, I found that the area was criss-crossed with old, unused irrigation water supply lines, and an active line. I had always had a leak somewhere and lo and behold, it was in this flower bed, coming from the active line! At this point, please look at the photo I've attached.

I've drawn white lines where the supply line used to run. Believe it or not, these two pipes were joined with a 90 degree elbow! (installed by so-called professionals) Needless to say, the stress on this elbow after 3 1/2 years was too much due to the angle involved and it gave way. I approximate this angle to be about 60 degrees.

I propose to put 45 degree fittings on the cut ends of the supply line and connect with a short 8 inch piece of 1 inch line. However that is no better than what was there before (it's still 90 degrees). I'm guessing that what I need is another fitting about half way across this span, maybe 22 1/2 degrees.

Problem is I cannot FIND a 22 1/2 degree fitting anywhere locally. Online, no one wants to sell 2 of 'em without charging $8+ for shipping. I will welcome any alternatives to my repair scenario. I thought about "flex pvc" which would work, but no one wants to sell less than 100 feet worth. I thought about maybe a piece of flexible rubber hose and a couple of clamps.

Any suggestions would be welcome! Thanks everyone.

Irrigation.jpg

I don't know if you have the flex in your pipes, but another option would be to make a Z out of 90s and you could have any angle you wanted.

Basically, put a 90 on one pipe facing down. Put a 90 on the other pipe facing up, directly under the one facing down. Then put a short piece to tie them together. You'd need to extend your pipes for that to work...

I don't know any plumbing code as it applies to irrigation systems, so i apologize if this isn't allowed... :)

Wow. I think that will work! It's interesting how things are possible when you look at a problem 3-dimensionally. I guess I was busy trying to keep the two pieces of the supply line on the same horizontal. Thank you!

What they both said will work, heat and bend or two 90's or 45's back to back will give you any angle you want.

How have you solved your problem! I also plan to make a new vegetable and flower garden and I'm afraid that I will have the same problem! I'm really looking forward to my garden where I will visit my flower delivery for the best plants. I'm really looking forward to it. But I don't want to have problems with the plumbing.

Last edited:
What I have done with these type of problems is dig the trench over to the right so you can bend the pipe to make a 90° angle instead of that one that they don't make fittings for. Now you have three solutions. Just figure out what one is easier for you and go for it.

Back