What valve connection?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElectroTele

Reaction score
I need to replace the shutoff valve for one of my toilets and I can’t tell what kind of connection this is. Anyone know? I don’t see threads but it looks like there are hex flats on the pipe coming from the wall, leading me to believe it’s a threaded connection. Just not sure...
View media item 512View media item 511

Pics are hard to see the details, but it looks like a compression type of shut off. Sometimes you can get lucky and leave the cap and ferrule, and just thread on a new quarter turn angle stop valve, as shown below. 41GhxEbVFyL.jpg

Reactions: SHR
Ah, so after seeing the pic you posted I went back to mine and do see some threads on the valve side of the large nut. I guess I was confused by the hex flats on the other side, closest to the flange. But I guess those are there for leverage as you tighten the compression nut...

Thx

Try and find a US made 1/4 turn valve. The ones that I've used in the past (made in China, but brand named by company we've used for years) have totally let me down. The stems corrode and break off under normal pressure.
I always tell the customer that they should turn valve off/on at least once a year but they never do , of course.
Does anyone out there know of a brand that won't let you down???

I've also heard there are lots of problems recently with Brasscraft. I hope someone will chime in with which brand is now the best out there.

Pics are hard to see the details, but it looks like a compression type of shut off. Sometimes you can get lucky and leave the cap and ferrule, and just thread on a new quarter turn angle stop valve, as shown below. View attachment 17507
You may not be able to see that hex between the wall flange and the valve nut. Shouldn't that be a round pipe if it had a ferrule on it?
It almost looks like some type of half union connection that could be either screwed or soldered to the pipe in the wall. I would suspect that if the flange was pulled away from the wall that one might be able to see that connection.
If not, I would unscrew the nut from the valve and pull the pipe forward to reveal the connection better.
I'm surprised that's not a split wall flange.

Latest posts

Back