What tool to hold on to these brass fittings?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LilyT

Reaction score
I'd like to unscrew the two fittings apart:
the left one is a 1" barb x 3/4" male MPT - the surface got marred by my tongue & groove plier.
the right one is a 3/4" female FPT x 3/4" female FPT - this one has 2 ridges.

Are there some special tools to hold on to these fittings?

fitting.jpg
plier.JPG

I probably found the answer to my own question - pipe wrench!

And or (in conjunction with) vice grips...
Thank you very much for the suggestion!
It’s funny, I do have a 9” long nose vice grip lying around in my toolbox, however, I have never figured out how to use it. Now after seeing your suggestion, I searched for and finally learned its proper usage.

Thanks for your suggestion! The tongue and groove plier I used looks like knipex. It slipped though. Maybe it’s because the jaw of my plier is not round enough like Hamberg suggested.

Knipex is a name brand of tools ......

They make everything from screwdrivers to bolt cutters 🤣 They make pipe pliers and all kinds of high dollar toolZ.

You can go to Walmart and buy two cheap pipe wrenches and be set for life LilyT 🎊

Knipex is a name brand of tools ......

They make everything from screwdrivers to bolt cutters 🤣 They make pipe pliers and all kinds of high dollar toolZ.

You can go to Walmart and buy two cheap pipe wrenches and be set for life LilyT 🎊
I see. I was looking at Harbor Freight for cheap tools, I didn't know Walmart carries them too. Thanks!

I see. I was looking at Harbor Freight for cheap tools, I didn't know Walmart carries them too. Thanks!

Harbor freight is fine too.

I have a $20 Harbor Freight torque wrench thats just as accurate as my $250 Snap-on torque wrench.

To be fair even with good tools sometimes a little heat works wonders at assisting loosening parts.👍

Word of warning about Harbor Freight vice grips. My son has a pair that came with an extensive tool set which was made with such soft metal that when it was used to apply a lot of torque to a pipe it deformed. Now the lower jaw is displaced back half an inch from the upper one. That set was pretty flimsy actually, a couple of the sockets also deformed. The 3/8" to 1/4" socket adapter also sheared off, but I've done that too with a Craftsman adapter too - that little 1/4" post cannot take much torque.

On the other hand, HF plumber's wrenches are quite sturdy.

Latest posts

Back