What to do next? 3 stoppages in 4 months

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saturation

Reaction score
I've had 3 stoppages over the course of 4 months timespan in my home, all coming from the 2nd bathroom toilet. It's backing up that bathroom toilet and tub and also another bath and tub, so I assume it's the main line that is backing up--the 2nd plumber had to use about 75 feet of auger to clear the line (that's about out to the street). I am convinced I should stop using 3 ply toilet paper in the home all together, but moreover, wondering if it's time for a sewer line inspection? What other options or suggestions does everyone have?

When you have the back up is the entire house backing up or just that one bathroom ?

Where is the guy cleaning the drain from ? Outside cleanout ? Pulling a toilet ? Roof vent ?

What type pipe do you have? Pvc ? cast iron ?

The backup has effected that bathroom and the other bathroom.

One guy cleaned from pulling the toilet (twice), the other guy cleaned from the roof vent. The house does not have an outside cleanout as it was built in the 60s.

I have cast iron pipes.

Quit using the thick paper and consider having a cleanout installed on the main sewer line outside.

There’s probably one there already but just buried.

What does a cleanout cost to install typically? Assuming it's not there.

There are a lot of factors that affect cost.

In my area it cost between $400-$800. But can be more.....

A big factor is how deep the pipe is and if it can be located easily.

I doubt the sewers are deep in Miami area. That’s a good thing.

Near by trees can cause root issues with the pipe and be hell to dig through.

You could save a lot of money if you had someone to dig the pipe up. You have to dig the hole big enough to work in.

The deeper the pipe is the bigger the hole will be.

Once the hole is done you could get some estimates. Most homeowners fail to dig the hole big enough to actually work on the pipe. Keep that in mind while you’re digging. Make plenty of room.

Back