What specific fill valve do I need?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atatime

Reaction score
I have an American Standard toilet. Model number 4392. The number on the fill valve is 3142. The toilet says 1.6 gallons per flush. I know the fill valve needs replaced but I can't figure out what part to get. The closest I've gotten to a specific recommendation has been "Fluidmaster 400A." I appreciate that, but my concern is that, from what I can tell, Fluidmaster recommends using the 400A in toilets that date prior to 1994 and that have flush voluments between 3.5 gallon and 7 gallons per flush. My toilet was manufactured in 2006 and has a volume of 1.6 gallons per flush.

Also, my toilet has a float. In the videos I've seen of the 400A being installed, there is no float, which my toilet has a float. I hope that's not a problem.

Thank your for your assistance.

Attachments

• 20231110_123549.jpg
    20231110_123549.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231110_123517.jpg
    20231110_123517.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231110_123510.jpg
    20231110_123510.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Yes, remove the entire float and hardware, and pick up a 400a Fluidmaster. They are fully adjustable. Just make sure you adjust the height so the water turns off about 1/2" below the flush tube. Also, don't forget to use the clip on the black tube going to your flush tube so your toilet doesn't self siphon. It may be necessary to use scissors to trim the black hose to fit correctly.

OK. I think I can try to do it on my own then. Do you any recommendations for where to get the part? Amazon, hardware store, plumbing supply.com, etc? Just want to make sure I'm getting it from a reliable source for plumbing parts.

Best choice "fluidmaster fill valve with refill adjustment". The adjustment valve allows refill to match your particular tank.
Most any hardware store or dastardly Amazon.
Typically you want to also replace the supply tube from the angle stop with a fresh, no-burst braided stainless steel replacement.

HomeDepot has the fluidmaster 400A for about $9 (for the plastic one). They also have one with a brass shank. I think there is a way to remove the upper part of the flush valve though and not have to mess with the shank part.

I will add that depending on the type of fill valve you have, you may be able to fix it without replacing it. Sometimes it needs to be cleaned or just have a part inside replaced. There is an internal float and some other parts. I fixed mine by shutting off the water, draining the tank, taking the flush assembly apart and cleaning every part. There was this piece of plastic that got gummed up with sediment. I also replaced some parts but can't remember exactly what.

I'm trying to locate a video on how to replace the flush valve assembly without removing the shank at the bottom.

Be careful when removing the refill tube, btw. It can get stuck on and you don't want to break it, but I recommend putting a wash cloth or something soft on the wall of the tank toward where you have to pull when removing the tube. I scraped my knuckles on the inside of the tank removing mine. I'm not very coordinated though so you might not have a problem with it.

Also, if you have to remove the whole base (including shank) remember that the threads are reversed and that left is tight and right is loose. I broke a plastic fill valve shank because I forgot that.

Back