What sort of washers go in these washing machine supply lines?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pasadena_commut

Reaction score
What sort of washers go in this type of washing machine supply line?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...Machine-Supply-Line-7243-96-34-1-EB/205854150

I need to take them off at the washer to clean the accumulated rust flakes out of the inlet filters. These are at least 10 years old, and while the outside metal and inside PVC should last pretty much forever, the rubber washers at the ends, not so much. These hoses have come off every couple of years for this cleaning, and I figure the rubber washers are about due for a replacement. Or are those washers molded in place around the inner PVC line, or installed before the inner metal connector is attached to the PVC, so that they cannot be replaced?

Thanks.

New ones already have them. Dont add a washer if original is blown out, just replace the entire hose. I too need to do this.

They use garden hose washers. However most manufacturers recommend replacing every 10 years. So as @havasu says, I would replace them.

That raises other questions.

The red garden hose washers on our actual garden hoses only last a couple of years. These:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DANCO-5-8-in-Hose-Washers-10-Pack-80787/203193507

The black washers in these supply line hoses have lasted much longer. Not sure if red/black color difference indicates different types of rubber. Even for the same type of rubber, are there different qualities of garden hose washers? Or is the longevity difference due to the environment?

Also, do the PVC tubes inside these braided supply lines really fail? I know they say to replace the hoses every 10 years, but if that is just because the washers go out at that point, seems like changing the washers should be sufficient. Assuming there is no rust or wear on the braided steel. The lines may move a tiny bit when the water pressure changes, but it isn't like they are being flexed over a large range of motion every day. We shut off the valves when the washer isn't in use, The washing machine inlet valves don't leak, as far as I can tell, so the pressure in the hose shouldn't change much over time. It does get very hot in the garage in the summer. 130F, 140F, something like that. It never gets down to freezing in the garage and both ends of that water filled tube are sealed. Long winded way of saying the hoses aren't exposed to any pressure spikes that might come in from the city main except for the short times the machine is in use.

I've heard many stories of braided supplies bursting.

I've heard many stories of braided supplies bursting.

This seems like one of those situations where there are good products, and there are bad products, and where the consumer has almost no way of determining which is which. Well, other than buying one with the longest warranty and hoping that is correlated with the quality of the hose.

I see there are also HE hoses. That makes sense. The newer washers turn those inlet valves on and off a lot, and AFAIK, they all do it by slamming the valve shut, rather than slowly closing it. So the hose has to be able to withstand that hammering. Or it could just be marketing hype. These HE hoses have a 5 year warranty:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fluidma...ing-Machine-Hose-2-Pack-9WM72P2HEP4/204406919

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back