What should I do to a septic that has been sitting for 2 years?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevenmw

Reaction score
I bought a some land and there is a cleared area on the highest point where a trailer home was.

Lucky for me they put in a 1000 gallon septic tank. Unfortunately it has been setting for two years. (Maybe a little longer.)

I have no idea where to start. I'm going to build a 50 x 30 shop / room to live in on this land for the time being and would love to use this septic tank. I have the drawing for it, but I have no idea where it is. There is a water main in the front of the property. But I haven't seen any sign of where the septic cap or whatever you call it is.

Where do I start? How do I ensure this is a quality septic system and the drain field is good to use. What do I do to maintain it? What do I check for? Do i need to dig out around it and look for cracks? What if the sediment inside is all dried up. How in the world would I pump it?

And what do I need to do to maintain it and keep it in good shape until I start to build next year?

And how do I know if the drain field is in a good spot or if it will be in my way if I expand and build more on my property?

You need to start with finding it. If it is older with metal lids a metal detector may be able to help you. Once you find it dig up the lids and pop them off, if it is still full of water that is a good sign. If it is empty I would fill it up, especially if there is solids that are drying up. If so I would fill it and let it sit for a week or two then have it pumped. Should not have any issues with the leach fields from sitting but you won't know until you start using it again. You can always have it mapped and video if you want to spend the money.

Back