What pump for home hot water recirculation

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony14

Reaction score
I'm running a dedicated recirculation line for our kitchen sink, which is about a 50 foot run from the hot water tank. I'm looking for a small pump, around 2 gpm, to keep the fps low to avoid damage to the pipes.

I want to use my own timer to turn off the pump during sleep hours, and a Johnson/ Penn A421ABC-02C aquastat so I can control the turn-on and turn-off temperatures.

The Grundfos Comfort pump models 99412493, 99812354 and 98420224 are the right size, but they have temperature, timer or auto feature respectively.

This would be okay if I could be sure that whatever feature is on the pump I buy can be turned off and stay off. But in reading the little I can find about these pumps it seems that while you can turn off whatever feature the pump has, when the pump loses/regains power it reverts back to having the feature turned on, with default values (e.g. for the timer pump 6:00am-9:00am, 11:00am-1:00pm and 4:00pm-9:00pm).

Can anyone with knowledge of these pumps tell me if their features can be turned off and stay off across power outages?

If not, does Grundfos have a low-flow pump like the ones in the Comfort line but which has no such features, so that it can be turned on and off externally?

If not, can anyone recommend another brand of pump of comparable power and reliability without any fancy and in my case unwanted features?

Grundfos does not talk to homeowners. They referred me to a supplier in my area but the contact there recommended a more powerful pump that I believe would move the water too fast. So did two local plumbing stores. I guess I could use a larger pump and add a flow restrictor valve, but that's just solving a problem I shouldn't have in the first place and adds something else that can go wrong over time.

If you ran 60’ of 3/8” pex you would only have to purge 40 oz of water before it gets hot. Get a high flow aerator and it would get hot even quicker. No pump needed .

Thanks, I did actually consider that early on, but decided not to take the chance that it wouldn't be quite what we wanted. We're willing to pay the extra cost of a dedicated return line and pump, etc.

The closer to the faucet you make the return loop the quicker you’ll get hot water.

You would need a very small pump.

I wouldn’t use those brass fittings. I’d use 1/2” fip x pex

I found a YouTube video, "Sizing Domestic Hot Water Recirculation Pumps" that really helped me put all the pieces together. After going through a manual process it shows an app on the Taco website that lets you describe your system with a few entries then makes pump recommendations--Taco pumps, of course, but they may have earned my business. Very helpful.

Back