What pipe is this?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkng07

Reaction score
Hi,

One of my basement wall is leaking from behind the dry wall. I can't figure out where its coming from. This past week has been really bad. Everytime I clean up the water, I get about 1 gallon every 6 hours I clean it.

I'm suspecting its this corroded pipe that runs along the basement floor on the outer perimeter. I have no idea what it is but I know it runs behind the wall that is leaking and it is extremely corroded.

If you look to the left where there seems to be a puddle of water, that seems to be filling up non-stop. I use a turkey baster to take out the water from inbetween that seam but it fills up almost immediately.

Can someone tell me what that pipe is or have any idea where the water is coming from non-stop? It hasn't rained here for days so I don't think the water is coming from the exterior of the house.

Please help!

igkab5.jpg

I snapped a few more pictures. I will attach it here.

I ended up calling a plumber and he told me that it was a condensation pipe for the heating system that was corroded and leaking behind the wall. The pipe was supposed to be a return for the condensed water that cools from the radiators and are sent back to the water boiler or furnace... I don't really know whether he said boiler or furnace and forgot to ask him. However, tracing the pipe back to the furnace room, I do see the line splitting to both the furnace and the water heater. I've attached a picture of the connection below. See pic#1 (On the left is the furnace and the boiler is on the right).
Can someone tell me if these pipes typically going to both the furnace and water boiler?

The plumber told me he was going to replace the pipe that runs along one side of the wall. According to him, there are two condensation pipes that run along two sides of the wall of my house. I can see both of them and both are very old and rusted/falling apart. However he said he would only change the leaking one.

I hope someone can tell me if I would be able to do this job myself. Seems like I would just need to turn off the water, drain the pipe, remove the wall and replace the pipe. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions if I decide to go this route?

Thanks - Matt

This is where the pipe connects to in the boiler room.

2zqh73m.jpg

This is the pipe

2eulric.jpg

It runs along here (was told by the plumber)
2a4o96e.jpg

Another picture behind the furnace and water boiler

rjpn42.jpg

Close up of the pipe. Some of it runs behind the wall and some of it is just exposed like this
2rxb3x1.png

Last edited:
You have Steam Heat that is a steam boiler. Get the plumber to replace the pipes not really a job a DIY I can do

My chance to get learnt here.

Voletl, from those few pictures how can you identify it as a steam boiler?

In the first picture that black box looks to me like an automatic water feed which are fitted on steam boilers so you don't need to manually feed. Also that pipe configuration (in the first picture) is a Hartford loop which is designed to always keep water in the boiler to prevent a dry fire. These both are found only on steam.

Puttin that in the memory bank, thanks!

Where I'm at, a plumbers licence doesn't allow us to work on steam boilers, yet there's questions about them on the exams :rolleyes: I haven't ever come across one in a residential application either, only saw them in commercial buildings.

We have steam all over here in a lot of the old houses old old old houses

Back