What kind of valve is this? Toilet supply to fill valve.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newkidntown22

Reaction score
We had to replace our toilet due to a crack in the tank. The supply line an valve do not seem to be compression. Pic attached of valve. The valve is stuck on galv. Is there an adapter I can buy? The valve looks almost like gas style?

Attachments

• 20200728_182143.jpg
    20200728_182143.jpg
    758.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Picture is too dark and blurry to see how and what it is connected to.

But the outlet looks like common 3/8 compression outlet.
Hard to see on my phone.

If you say the supply piping is galvanized, the old valve should unscrew counter clockwise.
You need to hold the galvanized pipe still with a second wrench, resisting it from unscrewing, by pushing the opposite way as the valve is unscrewing.

It's a 1/2". Yes, toilet supply cutoff to fill valve. Not compression, weird. It looks like a gas type connection with the nipple. I'll see about getting a better picture. The galv pipe looks dated. I just don't want to snap it behind the wall.

It does look like a flared valve. What kind of supply was on there? Was it copper with a flared end, instead of a rubber gasket?

If I were you, I'd aim for getting the valve off the pipe, at least. Replacing the whole nipple might be nice, too, if it'll come out clean.

No. Looked like a normal hose 1/2" to 7/8" with flat, non-conical gaskets. It's been on there forever with no leaks, but now it leaks since I jacked with it.

I'll give it a shot! I thought a Shark fitting until I remembered it was galv. I was really excited for a second. I'll let you know. Appreciate the help!

You might find that same adapter at Home Depot or somewhere else local.
Beware of steel adapters, probably will rust away.

Edit. Unless they are stainless.

Last edited:
The length wasn't right. They didn't have anything above 12". I did see that there though. Lowe's had the same problem.

The 19th at the earliest. Only one restroom. Might not have a wife by then. Lol! That's Wednesday thru Friday, hell I'll order it as a backup plan. The other off Amazon should be here tomorrow. Thanks again for the research and time!

Haha, yes, keep the boss happy.

Others on here might disagree, but I would consider wrapping the shutoff male flare threads with a few wraps of teflon tape, and putting a thin layer of teflon dope on the male flare tip, because it looks kind of beat up.

Or just do that if it leaks.

Latest posts

Back