What kind of fitting for this tubing? (fun plumbing photos attached!)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vlad_b

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first plumbing project and I'm not sure what everything is called, but I could really use some help figuring out the parts I need.

I've just replaced my kitchen faucet, but the fitting that connected the hot water from the faucet to the valve under the sink had a cracked/broken gasket.

The broken fitting - front:
plumbing-3.jpg

The broken fitting - back:
plumbing-4.jpg

The spiral metal tubing that goes from the valve and was inserted through the back of the fitting:
plumbing-1.jpg

What is this kind of tubing called? I tried googling just about every variation of adjectives I could think of and couldn't find it...

I went to several stores, and none of them had that exact kind of fitting. Does anybody know what it is, or what other kind of fitting I could use with that kind of tubing?

At first I thought the fitting was one piece, but I was able to take it apart into a compression nut, a washer, and the (broken) gasket. I found a fitting that looked similar at the store, but it's not quite the same and the tubing didn't fit through the back of it.

Original fitting (top) and new fitting that's similar but doesn't work (bottom):
plumbing-5.jpg

If I can't find the right fitting, I suppose I will have to replace the valve. Of course, since this is my first plumbing project, I'm not sure what kind of socket the valve is. The current one looks like a 1/2" pipe thread?
plumbing-2.jpg

Thanks for any help!

Yeah I have one of those in my house and they are junk. I would have guessed that the faucet nut but would be the same size as any regular one. I would suggest just replacing the valve. It's compression valve on 1/2 copper. Loosen the nut(once the water is off of course) and you should just be able to buy a new 1/2 compression valve and tighten it back on there. That shouldn't give you any grief. Just make sure the new one is on there snug but you don't have to go crazy tight.

You would be better off replacing the angle stop and getting a new supply line. Industry Standard is 1/2 x 3/8 angle stop and a 3/8 x 1/2 steel braided supply line. Problem solved.

Thanks all, I went and bought new 1/4 turn ball valves with 3/8" supply line connector and some new stainless steel supply lines. The new valves have a compression nut with ferrule to connect to the 1/2 copper pipe coming out of the wall. I was going to buy some teflon tape to wrap the pipe beforehand, but the guy at the store said it wasn't necessary. We'll see how it goes!

Back