What kind of brand kitchen sinks do people like?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeIndoor

Reaction score
So I am curious, when it comes to a kitchen Sink, what brands do most people prefer and why? I personally think a stainless steel kitchen sink that is 16 gauge and has sound proofing is all the same regardless of who makes them.
What does everybody else think?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am leaning towards the newer composite style for when I remodel my kitchen or the old fashoin cast iron glazed in black. The stainless steel ones seem cheaply made to me and I just don't really like them. It is hard for me to justify spending 200 bucks on 38 cents worth of steel that was pressed in a mold, just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a great Kohler porcelain coated cast iron sink, which we loved...until my wife dropped a knife on it and put a chip in it the size of a dime. A company wanted $200 to fix the chip, which was just not worth it. I've since replaced it with a Kohler stainless steel sink, with deep bowls, and it's great. No chips ever, quiet, sturdy feeling, and cleans up nice.

When you guys buy a sink, do you look at more of the brand?
The price? or the quality of the sink?

When you guys buy a sink, do you look at more of the brand?
The price? or the quality of the sink?

It depends on cash in hand at the time for me, I like to get the best possible quality without forking out to much cash so I usually end up in the middle somewhere.

A question to you what are the differences in stainless steal quality now compared to 15-20 years ago?

I myself like name recognition with a warranty available. I would hate to buy an unknown brand, which I later find out is made in China, and my family dies a horrible death from lead poisoning, and have no follow up information available on who to sue.

When I make recommendations to my customers there are 3 factors.

1. Price - Always the main thing I'm thinking about.
2. Brand - Will my customer recognize them? If they "google" the brand will they find nice reviews?
3. Installation - Can the monkeys that work for me handle it without effing it up?

As far as SS sinks go I'm a fan of Franke

Is there a sink that is recycled? If it's recycled then I would go for that.

Due to the fact that "green" is in, there are many manufacturers who are using 100% recycled materials in their sinks. A few brands would be "Eleek", "Enviro Bath", "Native Trails", and Eco Haus" to name a few.

There are many different kinds of materials, such as porcelain, ceramic, granite, aluminum, copper and stainless steel, but I prefer stainless steel sink because it has many advantages like resistant, less expensive, cohesive, and they also can go with any other color..

Stainless steel is the material and "color" of choice for most new kitchens. It goes with anything. I would not install anything less than 18 gauge stainless. I really don't look at the brand in sinks. I do, however, eyeball the flanges for straightness. Going green is great, but I have to wonder why recycled material costs much more than new.

Hi
What element in the kitchen is the sink supposed to coordinate with? I have medium brown cabinets and wood floors, mostly beige (with little brown and very little black mixed in) tile countertops and backsplash and black/stainless appliances. The appliances have a high gloss sheen on the black parts, so I was thinking of doing a glossy black kitchen sink.

American Standard = cheap and ok quality.
Kohler = a little bit more pricey but good quality stuff.

Kohler is a lot prettier too. American Standard sinks are exactly what they say... standard.

We had a great Kohler porcelain coated cast iron sink, which we loved...until my wife dropped a knife on it and put a chip in it the size of a dime. A company wanted $200 to fix the chip, which was just not worth it. I've since replaced it with a Kohler stainless steel sink, with deep bowls, and it's great. No chips ever, quiet, sturdy feeling, and cleans up nice.

If you dropped a Knife hard enough to chip a CI sink I would think that would also punch a hole in stainless.
I've replaced a couple stainless sinks that have gotten punctured.

I'd also stay away from two part SS sinks. where the sink bowl has a small 1/4" flange that is pressed into the top flange section of the sink. I've seen them at Dixieline but can't recall the brand.

Had a customer accuse me of popping the sink bowl up out of the top flange.
I'll post a picture of it if I can find it.
I installed a Kohler Cast Iron self rim sink in my kitchen about 18 yrs ago. Still in great shape.

On a lot of new installs people like the under counter mounted composite type sinks. Usually installed by those setting the new counters. Problem with the under counter install is it's almost impossible to replace or repair if it seperates from the counter top, with out pulling up the counter

Found pics

1st picture Evidence it was already leaking
2nd picture Inside flange popped up.
3rd picture After I beat the sink flange back down into the top flange.
( That is a whole new story in itself )

SS sink_00.jpg

SS sink_01.jpg

SS sink_02.jpg

Last edited:
I have never seen a sink like that, but someone needs to drink a bottle of drano for coming up with it.

Back