What is this thing, anyway?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
but I think it's my right to ask to see the invoice for the expansion tank, don't you?
No, absolutely not because what he pays for it and what he charges you are two different things. Same goes for the water heater. He didn’t pay whatever he charged you for it.

If I buy something for $10, I don’t sell it for $10. Different companies will mark up their materials more than others based on their buying power with the wholesaler. Whatever flex they have is no business of yours.

Also, it appears he didn’t charge you for travel time TO your home, which is very common. It sounds like you are dealing with a good company.

$830.00 for a water heater installation is a good price now a days. Most plumbing companies will install a expansion
tank if it doesn't have one. They also usually give a installed price upfront. We never broke down a bill. Now that
you questioned his honesty you will probably have to call someone else the next time. Not everybody takes advantage
of a woman customer.

This should not be true, unless the customer is copping an attitude when asking for or scrutinizing the bill. A respectful request for details should always be acceptable.

And when you do flat rate, a savvy customer may want to 1) see the breakdown of what went into the quote, and 2) if there are any overages, be very circumspect. I have seen too many flat rates quotes "because it helps make sure you have no surprises," but the average usually beats the median price, and then you often get surprises anyway.

Hummmmm.
  • $545 - Total
  • $200 - Parts
  • $345 - Labor
Time - per Homeowner: 3hrs 45 min
At $100/hr = $345.00 = Labor as shown above

Bottom line - No rounding up of time / labor charge.
Actually, if his hourly rate is $100, she got a deal. wouldn't 3-3/4 hours have been $375 ?

jack vines

Latest posts

Back