What is this metal pipe connection on outside of house?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calj

Reaction score
I have a metal pipe that is capped showing on the outside of my house under my deck (brown, painted pipe, facing up in center of attached picture on the top). My basement is finished so I am unable to follow the pipe to its source from the inside of house. I am guessing it is a natural gas connection. Does anyone know what this pipe is? What would you use it for (if gas, future natural gas grill, fire pit, etc.)? Would you try to use the connection? Please excuse my ignorance.

Attachments

• Mysterious pipe.JPG
    Mysterious pipe.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 41
Oil heat fill pipe to a tank in the basement about 50 yrs ago?
Thanks for the responses. The house is 42 years old (1978) in Salt Lake City. One thought I had is I am sure the house had a swamp/evaporatIve cooler installed at some point. Maybe this pipe supplied it with water at some point?

Impossible to evaluate without tracing the pipe to its source inside the house.
Either start cutting drywall, or forget about it.

Or, you could pull up some deck boards and uncap it.

You might get wet, might have live gas, might just have an old abandoned pipe.

Oil heat fill pipe to a tank in the basement about 50 yrs ago?

Salt Lake City: unlikely a basement. If this was an oil filler line it would probably be a companion vent line near or next to it. Of course the dead giveaway would be the tank in the basement... Even when old and abandoned they are generally left in place.

I will say it does look like an oil filler line though!

I have a metal pipe that is capped showing on the outside of my house under my deck (brown, painted pipe, facing up in center of attached picture on the top). My basement is finished so I am unable to follow the pipe to its source from the inside of house. I am guessing it is a natural gas connection. Does anyone know what this pipe is? What would you use it for (if gas, future natural gas grill, fire pit, etc.)? Would you try to use the connection? Please excuse my ignorance.
Looks too small for a oil fill pipe, my guess is a gas pipe for a grill.

Back