What is this device for my sump pump plumbing

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerboy64

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what this device is so I can figure out why it's so loud like a ringing metal bell sound every time the sump pump shuts off. Also it's very loud when it shuts off it makes a loud thud which may be unrelated to this device. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20220218_042750.jpg
    20220218_042750.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
It looks like a check valve, but that doesn’t make any sense, what is on top of it? Might be some kind of anti-hammer device, but it doesn’t look big enough. Also, send more pictures of what your sump pump looks like, and how it’s connected.

Looks like a check valve to me, it’s directional, has an arrow on it.

Looks like a spring check valve.

I don't think it's the check valve. I took a picture of what I think is the check valve and the top of this device. I do think it's some type of anti hammer device I just can't find this when I search the internet.

Attachments

• 20220218_102227.jpg
    20220218_102227.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 20220218_102210.jpg
    20220218_102210.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
It's a check valve used like a vacuum breaker. I imagine it is very noisy when operating. Replace it with a dedicated vacuum breaker and problem solved.SmartSelect_20220219-101125_Google.jpg

It's a check valve used like a vacuum breaker. I imagine it is very noisy when operating. Replace it with a dedicated vacuum breaker and problem solved.View attachment 33873

Why would one install a vacuum breaker on their sump pump ?

Where would you personally install it in a sump pump system ?

On the outlet line. Apparently the pump line goes to gravity drainage at some point and lack of a vacuum breaker would cause siphonage which is annoying with the glug-glug noise but can also cause a pump to lose prime.

On the outlet line. Apparently the pump line goes to gravity drainage at some point and lack of a vacuum breaker would cause siphonage which is annoying with the glug-glug noise but can also cause a pump to lose prime.

I’ve never had that problem, interesting. Do you suppose his outlet line terminated lower than his pump ?

You wouldn’t use a studor ? It lets air in.......

Last edited:
I would increase my discharge pipe size once it turned horizontal by two pipe diameters.

I’ve never had that problem, interesting. Do you suppose his outlet line terminated lower than his pump ?

You wouldn’t use a studor ? It lets air in.......
No, they aren't designed to take pressure, only to allow air in. A vacuum breaker is designed to close under pressure and open by gravity in a suction condition. The check valve the OP had performed the same function but less efficiently and as I stated above probably with lots of noise and drama.

No, they aren't designed to take pressure, only to allow air in. A vacuum breaker is designed to close under pressure and open by gravity in a suction condition. The check valve the OP had performed the same function but less efficiently and as I stated above probably with lots of noise and drama.

You dont think upsizing the horizontal so it couldn’t siphon if your outlet dropped below the pump would be a better solution ? I’ve never installed a pump where my outlet dropped below my pump, very interesting. Most of our pumps are sewage and the pumps are always below the outlet.

I usually put those little vacuum breakers you posted on bottom fed water heaters

Last edited:
Back