What is smelly brown sludge in toilet bowl?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slagatha

Reaction score
The toilet is throughly cleaned, even the rim, the tank looks fine and doesn’t smell. It’s literally in the bowl. There’s a disgusting brown sludge encroaching that is just beyond the reach of a toilet brush. Upon cleaning I managed to get some of this on the brush and it is absolutely the source. Help? My landlord told me to empty the water and scrub it but I’ve never had to do this before and it will likely just come back if not handled properly.

It is probably algae, which commonly grows in toilet bowls.

Put a toilet bowl chlorine cleaning tablet in the bottom of the tank, that will control the algae.

Don't the chlorine tabs degrade the rubber flush flapper though?

So I live in an ancient house. Should I be worried about that? I was afraid to put bleach tabs in the top bc I didn’t want to damage anything. It’s a newer toilet though.

Thanks! It does actually look like algae and I did pour some bleach in the bowl which seemed to help a little until the bleach got flushed out and it went back to gross. I ordered some tabs though so hopefully that’ll do it.

You can just get a pump spray bottle with generic bleach cleaner, and spray that on the stains, or pour some straight bleach in the bowl, let it soak overnight, then scrub off.

As far as not being able to get to the stain to clean it, if you can see it, you can get to it somehow.
Get a skinnier brush.
Tape a scotchbrite pad to a paint stirrer.
Get one of those bendy brushes used to clean out dryers or dryer vent pipes.

Take a plunger and plunge all the water out of the bowl, then you can directly spray bleach onto the mystery scuzz.

More than likely its calcium and mineral build up from not flushing after urinating. Same thing develops in urinals. You have to scrape it out or hire a plumber to use acid to dissolve it. Good luck

They sell lemon scented bleach to make it not smell so bad now.

More than likely its calcium and mineral build up from not flushing after urinating. Same thing develops in urinals. You have to scrape it out or hire a plumber to use acid to dissolve it. Good luck
I flush after every time and it’s just me! I did try the chlorine bleach in the tank, and leaving bleach in the bowl overnight and while it seemed to help directly after, within 3-4 flushes it smelled again and the sludge appears to be slowly creeping back. I’ve used CLR but that also didn’t help. I guess we are on the city sewer line so I’m at a loss. Trying to find another solution for now.

It’s hard to get a good pic since it’s so far back and kinda just looks like it’s your average rust (iron?) stains but it’s not as these do not occur around the waterline or in the shower or anywhere else. It’s also about 1/8” thick and slimy.

Attachments

• C8C7BC43-0689-4713-A651-75F3210E6DD1.jpeg
    C8C7BC43-0689-4713-A651-75F3210E6DD1.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • A8C15587-70F2-46F0-B25C-C57DAD28C5F8.png
    A8C15587-70F2-46F0-B25C-C57DAD28C5F8.png
    6.1 MB · Views: 12
Back