What did you do today?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish my living room had space for a refrigerator. I seriously hope our next house has room for a least a mini-fridge and maybe a microwave in the living room. I plan to take back my mini-fridge from my brother eventually. I hope he can get his own mini-fridge.

havasu, I like your couch and those are nice drawers. Even though my kitchen cabinets are not my favorite color or style, I love them because my father made them. I do wish we'd had the pull-out trash can drawer that looks like a cabinet door. It would be nice to keep the trash stowed away out of reach of the animals. Between the little dog and the cats, things are always getting knocked over.

meanwhile, I introduced my mother to a new frozen burger. Its got a 1/2lb patty with pulled pork slathered in bourbon bbq sauce. It's pretty good and cheaper than getting burgers at McDonalds.

Those drawers are the old ones, which will be tossed as soon as the new cabinets and drawers are installed. We are going for the new moca color, just a shade up from black. They just advised this 3 day job will be more like 6 days, due to the extra work needed.

Those drawers are the old ones, which will be tossed as soon as the new cabinets and drawers are installed. We are going for the new moca color, just a shade up from black. They just advised this 3 day job will be more like 6 days, due to the extra work needed.

If you have a Habitat For Humanity ReStore near you, you can donate the old drawers and any remnants of the cabinets and you get a tax credit.

The old ones look pretty nice.

I'm still waiting on that ring to arrive for my garbage disposal unit.

On a side note, I've been thinking ahead to the work I'm going to do in my mother's bathroom and I think we should paint the fugly green cabinets. I was in the store the other day and saw some paint chips. One of them looked like a color she would really like so I grabbed it as well as some other shades of blue. She said she wanted to paint the walls in the first one I picked. She really liked that color. I suggested doing the walls white (to cover up the fugly green stripes) and the cabinets and shelves blue. Not sure what we are going to do about the fugly avocado green sink. She doesn't seem to realize that painting the walls in a dark color will make the room look smaller. She'll probably end up with a Robin's Egg blue on the walls or something though.

Earlier this morning I played a little bit of World of Warcraft before I lost connection. I had a quest to do some of the much hated PVP (Player vs Player) and after several losses, I finally got in a group with people who actually understood teamwork.

Ok. So, I went to remove the old garbage disposal unit and remembered that my wrench is over at the house of my friend who was supposed to help. So I used some tool with a rubber belt and I don't really know how to use it so I kept trying to figure it out. The fitting I was trying to detach was in a hard to reach spot. I wrapped the rubber belt around the plastic ring that I wanted to turn and started pulling. It didn't budge but the ring below that attached the P-trap of the garbage disposal to the upper pipe came off instead. Not what I was going for, but it had the same effect so I was ok with it. Then I tried to turn the metal ring just like I saw in the videos. Damn thing wouldn't budge because its rusted, but I did discover that the entire garbage disposal can now be rotated. Just the damn ring is stuck. I wonder if WD40 would work to loosen it...

I'm pondering just seeing if I can yank the disposal off and not care about the rubber part. Or maybe I can try to poke at the rubber part to see if it will come loose. and then I can get to the screws for the metal ring.

I also discovered that the ground wire is hooked to the garbage disposal but is just hanging loose inside the cabinet. I'm not sure quite what to do with it. I know I can't ground it to the sink. I don't want to attach it to anything that is likely to be sitting in water if there is a leak.

I'll probably go take a crack at the assembly again later tonight to see if I can get it to come off.

Any tips?

Also, the urge to throttle my brother still exists because the stuff in that pipe stinks.

I accidentally bent the damn snap ring when trying to install the new disposal. It wouldn't go on and the other parts kept falling. I tried taping them in place but there was still very little room to maneuver. I was trying to pry the snap ring far enough apart to get it to go around but it wouldn't open enough and then I applied too much pressure when prying and bent it. So now it won't snap back. I tried to bend it back and put it on the flange, but it doesn't sit right and when I try to screw the lower ring on tightly, part of the ring pops off. ARG... I guess I have to buy a new ring. The old one was too rusty. I wish they had a better design for this. It's pissing me off.

Sounds like a hassle. I'd hire a plumber to do it. :p

My neighbor told me yesterday that her disposal also rotted out. I offered to install a new one for her free of charge, but she declined because her mother (who lives with her) is a hoarder and she is too embarrassed to let me into her house.

LOL. Yeah, that's another issue. We are embarrassed to let people come in to our house-- other than close friends that know we are hoarders.

Quite frankly, I'd rather not be charged over $100 to put a ring on and then get stink-eye from the local plumber. The guy is sort of a dick and he was pretty rude the last time he was out-- he didn't come inside the house, just snaked an exterior drain for like 2 minutes and then charged $120-- he normally charges $65 to snake a drain but he had a bug up his ass.

My neighbor told me yesterday that her disposal also rotted out. I offered to install a new one for her free of charge, but she declined because her mother (who lives with her) is a hoarder and she is too embarrassed to let me into her house.

That's sad.

But here is a question. What do you guys think when you enter a home to do a repair and the home is not very well kept?

As long as they keep the roaches and small dogs on a leash until I'm done, I can usually handle it. It is the "oh, don't be afraid of fluffy, she never bites anyone" dogs that scare the hell out of me.

Roaches on a leash, now that is an original idea.

I just wish that people would clean out underneath their kitchen sink before they call me out to snake the kitchen drain. I really don't want to charge you for the time it takes me to move everything out and then back in, and you will just have to redo it, because I can't get it back in just exactly the way you had it.

Roaches are not scary. Now, I felt sorry for the guy who came to work on my satellite dish outside once. There was a copperhead (highly venomous snake) out near the pole. For some reason the guy brought his kid with him and the kid actually stepped on it-- but fortunately the snake decided to just stay still instead of biting the kid.

I came to the office to find out one of my guys left out a brand new couple thousand dollar plate compactor on a jobsite over the weekend and it got stolen and then another guy jack knifed my truck and trailer hauling a piece of equipment and did some minor damage. Getting hit with overtime costs from the city because my guys took to long working in the street last week and they broke a dump truck. Guess I shouldn't go on vacation any more.

Roaches are not scary. Now, I felt sorry for the guy who came to work on my satellite dish outside once. There was a copperhead (highly venomous snake) out near the pole. For some reason the guy brought his kid with him and the kid actually stepped on it-- but fortunately the snake decided to just stay still instead of biting the kid.

That is pretty damned lucky.

I came to the office to find out one of my guys left out a brand new couple thousand dollar plate compactor on a jobsite over the weekend and it got stolen and then another guy jack knifed my truck and trailer hauling a piece of equipment and did some minor damage. Getting hit with overtime costs from the city because my guys took to long working in the street last week and they broke a dump truck. Guess I shouldn't go on vacation any more.

That is pretty damned unlucky.

Back