What did you do today?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watched an HBO Documentary special called "The Fastest Woman on Earth". It documents the life and times of Jessi Combs who finally attained that title driving a modified USAF F-104 Starfighter on the last run of her life. The movie was well done but extremely raw showing the actual video from the cockpit and her helmet cam of the record breaking run that sent her to be with God. I know it been overused and abused but she died truly doing what she loved to do. You owe it to yourself if you like cars and jets and speed and women who refuse to be allowed access to a "man's world".

I am turning to the plumbing community for a possible solution because the radio community could not help. I need to install a thru-wall (bulkhead) fitting, an 8" tube through which I can pass a LMR-400 piece of coax with a 0.400 inside OD, from the outside of the house to an inside wall. Ideally, the tube should be threaded at both ends or maybe completely so that I could install a retaining nut on the inside to the outside to secure the 8" piece of tubing. In a perfect world, I could also install a compression fitting with a rubber insert to seal around the coax at both the exit and the entry point.

Can this be done with off-the-shelf PVC parts or should I look to some electrical supplies and do it in metal?

Thanks for your thoughts.

What material are you going through? I assume using metal conduit may cause an interruption?

I'd use a Hilti hammer drill with a 12" long drill bit (you can rent this at HD) then use gray PVC which is used for waterproof electrical connections, and seal the pipe with a good silicone type of caulking.

Thanks Havasu. Gray PVC sounds good. I am going through drywall and vinyl siding on the outside. That sounds pretty simple and, as I like the KISS philosophy when at all possible, this sounds about right. I had thought about some boating stuff that may be like a "through hull" fitting but your idea sounds good.

I always used a big hole saw and put in a piece of PVC pipe with a 90° elbow on one or both sides and used caulking to hold it in place. I know you think you only want .4 inch ID, but you probably want a connector on it and I never found one piece of coax to be enough. I ended up wrapping the coax with a rag and stuffing it into the PVC, which provided plenty of weatherproofing. Don’t forget the lightning arrestors! Angle the hole slightly downwards towards the outside, so any water will not run into the house.

WPNS, you are correct in that .400 ID would require me to pass the cable through the pipe and install the connector after the run of coax has been installed which I can do but you are correct that one piece of coax is never enough! The 90°, or 45° even, elbow make a whole lotta sense too! Thanks guys!

Halloween came and went with almost no kids even though we live in a neighborhood full of kids. I remember Halloween in the 60's in Albuquerque where the streets and sidewalks were full of kids with queen-sized pillowcases full of goodies. The country has changed very much over the decades!

Now what the heck am I going to do with over three quarters of a COSTCO-sized bag of chocolate candies saying "Eat me! Eat me!"?

I have not had a kid come here in the last 6 years. 7 years ago, I had one neighborhood kid. So last night, we shut down the porch and driveway lights, and shut the front door so nobody would bother us. At 10PM. I knew we were safe, so I opened the front door, and turned on all the exterior lights. 5 minutes later, I saw a truck hauling ass up my street, and slammed on his brakes right in front of my house. I grabbed my gun and went to the front door, and out came a 12 year old boy saying, "Trick or Treat!" Hell, I felt bad. We keep those Andes mints near the front door for our guests, so I grabbed a handful and gave them to the kid, saying this was all I had left. Now, I have to refill "grandma's candy dish!"

We haven't had trick or treaters since we lived in Guam. If we lived in town we still wouldn't have it bc the mayor made it illegal.
For help on the 3 dots-- I'm on windows PC as well. Bottom of the forums where you can post a reply:1667417469764.png
I have no idea how to check if the heat strip is on. We do not get gas out here (aside from the kind from mammals). I had Taco Bell earlier so I'm sure there will be plenty of it. My sister had the opposite problem where her ac would only cool instead of heat. Something about a switch in the outside unit not working.
So, last night I was cooking and heard a pop & the microwave shut off. I checked the breaker and it was fine. Air fryer was still working. Air fryer and microwave are both plugged in to an outlet extender with 6 ports. It is from the 80s and has seen better days. Some of the ports stopped working. Anyway, I unplugged everything and went to make sure the microwave cord was secure. Not only was it secure, it was stuck. Really really stuck. I moved the food to the stove to heat while I fought with the plug. I had to get a rubber glove and eventually a plastic putty knife. I had to be careful not to pull on the cord. 10+ min of trying to pry that sucker out and the extender rocked side to side and kitchen lights blinked on and off. Used the putty knife to pry behind the plug and finally got it out but the lights went out too and stayed off. So the wires are loose/disconnected in the outlet. Not sure which breaker the microwave was on. I need to take advice from someone on houserepair and map it out and do a spreadsheet. I already planned to map it out.

Got up before 6am bc my friend said I should be there at 7 bc his gf was having a c-section. Got in my car and messaged him. He said they bumped it back to 10 but asked if I could bring food before 10:30. So, I went back inside and watched some Star Wars stuff bc I couldn't sleep. Stopped by Taco Bell on my way and made sure they didn't put jalepeno stuff on (both of us are allergic to it). Delivered the food and then helped make arrangements to get the paternity test done. I said I was his aunt in case people would think it was weird or suspicious if I said he was my friend. I've been mistaken for his mother before. I couldn't go in bc they were only letting 1 person in. So I stopped at Walmart and got a new outlet, stopped at Dollar Tree to see if they had any of the stuff I saw in a video online (of what to buy there) they had nada. Stopped by a local place to get beef stew for the family since we can't use microwave or air fryer for awhile.
I've watched enough videos that if I shut off the power to the whole house (just to be on the safe side) I can change the outlet.

I'm tired but my brain doesn't want to let me sleep.

I ran 6 service calls.

Unclog toilet, found a toilet scrub pad in it.

Installed a dishwasher

Repaired a direct flushvalve for a commercial toilet

Repaired a Delta tub/shower

Repaired a Moen tub shower valve

Cleaned a sewer at a office building.

Most of my day was spent driving from job to job.

It’s was a good day. 👍

Zanne, one not so scientific way of telling when your strip (resistance) heat is on is to watch your electric meter. If you are familiar with its normal rotational speed when the heat pump is operating normally and it’s spinning like dervish you can be pretty sure the strip heat is being called for. Glad you didn’t have an electrical fire and hope you get that sorted soon.

My meter is up too high for me to read without a ladder and trying to get a ladder in that area is a pain. I have no idea what the normal rate is. I have windows open for now. Last night I had to step on the couch to reach the window in the living room and I lost my balance and slammed my face into the bookcase. No bruising though but it felt like it was going to bruise.

I changed the lightbulb in the vent/light/heat thing in my bathroom and I really hate the design. Triangular shaped metal wires are used to hold the cover on. It's a metal frame with glass cover and the metal part has to come down and the glass part moves around. The wires did not want to extend when I was pulling and then once I was done the damn things wouldn't go back up properly. One side went up but the other side bent. Some rust & dirt fell in my eye when I was pulling it down so I didn't want to mess with it too much.

I took pictures in the pantry and kitchen:
Outlet extender that microwave was plugged into-- honestly its pretty gross looking.
1667579657370.png
That outlet's box on the other side of the wall (inside the pantry). I *think* that really thick cable is aluminum. It also goes to the water heater.
1667579729656.png1667579760789.png
This is the box of the light switch to the light that died when I unplugged the microwave:
1667579848381.png
The cable gong down to the light switch has a screw through it but I don't know if it is touching any metal inside. That cable has a paper sleeve inside as well.
1667580237124.png

Zanne, I feel sorry for your loss of balance and resulting face bruise. Thanks for the point out on the options under the "three dots". I was actually choosing the wrong "three dots" when looking for smiley faces as they were under the middle-ish set of "three dots" :rolleyes:

Your electrical situation scares the bejesus out of me especially the conductor with the screw sticking out of it. If there is aluminium (British spelling) wiring in there, the connections may need checking and retightening but I am assuming the wiring to the outlets and switches are copper.

I just realized there is an option that is actually a smiley face that is where you can select more smileys. There are a lot of them.
My face is fine now. I'm hard-headed. I'm pretty clumsy so I bang into things a lot.

There is a little wood and glass cabinet on the wall hanging outside the pantry and when Dad put it up (at Mom's behest bc she wanted it there) he unfortunately hit that cable. I wanted to take it down, but when I saw the screw was inside the cable I decided not to touch it. I really really hate that cabinet bc I keep hitting my head on it and I have wanted to take a sledgehammer to that damn thing forever. Ok, its not the cabinet I hate, its the location. I emptied it out and attempted to take it down but fortunately didn't try to touch that screw. I noticed the screw before I got to that point and decided its not safe if the power is on.

My friend thinks that cable is 8/3 but I don't know. The sheathing looks pretty rough. I'm not quite sure if that ugly thing is feeding that outlet or going away from it to the water heater or both. I don't want to try to pull the cable off the screw in case the jagged edges of the screw somehow cut the sheathing on the wires inside and cause a short. It's been like that for about 20 years now. My friend said it might not be too difficult to change out that cable to a new one that doesn't look so nasty.

I put in a new RJ11 line for the base phone in Mom's room. The one that was attached was too short and she kept unplugging it accidentally. I need to buy some electrical tape for the wires going into the jack. I don't like how the jack just hangs. It's a janky situation.

I see that the outlet extenders I ordered have arrived at the post office. I have to go pick them up since USPS won't deliver to me. Need to do that soon before it closes for the weekend.

Back