What can I put in floor drains to seal off odor

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishScreener

Reaction score
I have an office building which has floor drains in the locker rooms, restrooms, and shower rooms. Which are mopped daily, and I have directed the Janitorial Contractor to pour a bit of water in the floor drains everytime they mop to seal off the odor. Which works fine.

We also have a freight room, an evidence room, and an archeological “treasure” room, all of which have concrete floors, and slope to floor drains. The janitors don’t mop those floors, and the “treasure” room is rarely entered, so the floor drains dry out, and teh sewer odor comes up into the rooms. If we were on a sewer system, I’d just pour a cup of mineral oil down them once a year and call it good. But we are on a septic system, so I don’t want to use mineral oil.

Does anyone have an alternative, which will last for quite a while, but flush through if there is enough water in the room, that the floor drain is used, and will not cause damage to septic tank, or waste field?

Back