What adhesive do you use as sealant and glue for the flange spacers?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supersm

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am looking to finally install a restroom, I was planning for a while and I need to glue and seal the flange spacers (plastic) to the existing flange (regular plastic with metal). Below is the image.

Could you please let me know what kind of adhesive would you recommend?

1666062599182.png

I don’t recommend stacking pvc rings and trying to make the stack waterproof with wax or silicone.

I either remove the old flange completely and install a new one or solvent weld a flange inside the pipe if the existing flange is over 4” pipe.

I set the bottom of the flange on top of the finished floor then anchor it to the slab or subfloor.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply.

Below is in what I was consider doing. Essentially, this spacer is a flange itself and wanted to add it in the current flange, as it fits well.

Then I'll add a set of screws to fix it, but also I wanted to add some adhesive silicone to fix it better and to ensure that there is no other leaking issue between this new black spacer/flange and the actual flange at some point in time.

Please let me know if this makes sense for you, or you think that it is a bad idea. Does it make sense?

With this one, I am at level, or a few millimeter over, I wished I was over more, but it is how it is.

IMG_5572.jpgIMG_5567.jpg

IMG_5564.jpg

I considered replacing the flange, however it's not easy to get a plumber to do this work, all plumbers I contacted told me that they will use 2 wax rings for the toilet installation.

I will most likely have a plumber to come to install the toilet, after I figure out the solution for this, but I will not let them just to add 2 was rings, I will most likely go with something like described here if no plunge replacement will be done.

Thanks a lot.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply.

Below is in what I was consider doing. Essentially, this spacer is a flange itself and wanted to add it in the current flange, as it fits well.

Then I'll add a set of screws to fix it, but also I wanted to add some adhesive silicone to fix it better and to ensure that there is no other leaking issue between this new black spacer/flange and the actual flange at some point in time.

Please let me know if this makes sense for you, or you think that it is a bad idea. Does it make sense?

With this one, I am at level, or a few millimeter over, I wished I was over more, but it is how it is.

View attachment 37438View attachment 37439

View attachment 37440

I considered replacing the flange, however it's not easy to get a plumber to do this work, all plumbers I contacted told me that they will use 2 wax rings for the toilet installation.

I will most likely have a plumber to come to install the toilet, after I figure out the solution for this, but I will not let them just to add 2 was rings, I will most likely go with something like described here if no plunge replacement will be done.

Thanks a lot.
Two wax rings are what the plumbers are planning, and Twowaxhack replied. LMAO!

Twowaxhack, sorry, but I just couldn't resist.

I agree with Twowaxhack. A similar post addressed this very thing, and yes, some have said stacking rings will be fine with a silicone caulk. But that isn't what they are made for, and will obviously be the weak link in the install.

I'm not familiar with the black insert you have, but it looks like it has a rubber seal around the top of the insert that is to seal it with the inside of the line. If you don't have the ability to cut the old flange out and glue in a proper repair, I would use one of these.

1666207518401.png

It seals down at the bottom of the insert. I've only used this once, and I took a wax ring and melted it to fill in the grooves of the red rubber seals for extra "sealability". Worked great and I'm much more comfortable with this rather than the other toilet flange extending devices.

I find a lot of rotten wood and ruined drywall from improper flange/toilet connections. Even termites.

If it’s done properly it nearly lasts forever.

The black ring looks to be ABS. I'd stick with PVC like the others have suggested.
You could also get something like this for 4" PC4 4 in. Compression Floor Protecting PVC Toilet Flange in White | eBay
or 3" PC3 3 in. Compression Floor Protecting PVC Toilet Flange in White | eBay
They are around $45 on other sites. I found a couple of the 4-in for cheaper from another seller but $19 is not a bad price. They have guides to help you line things up and they seal to the floor to keep water from going underneath. I'm going to be installing them in my bathrooms. A friend on houserepairtalk forums used them in his house and is happy with them.
Looks like your flange has a 3" opening (at least that's how it looks to me).

Latest posts

Back